Chapter 15 ➼︎ Saying Goodbye

Chapter 15, Saying Goodbye

I was moving to Meg's. Jo helped me pack up my things. Though she was not pleased I was going to live with the Brooks. Laurie was angered with me that I was moving further away from him. He was not speaking to me either.

Not that I had been speaking with him as well. I had yet to tell my family that once Jo and Laurie found their way back to one another then I was going to move back with Amy and Aunt March.

I could not stand by and watch the love of my life loving someone else. Even if she was family. I knew in my heart I was never going to love anyone else but Laurie.

I was doomed to be alone. Maybe I could become a nurse maid for other mothers if things went well with Meg and John. Serve a purpose for that if I enjoyed doing so.

•✿︎︎•

"I think this is the last box" Jo tells me. "books and dresses is that all you own?" she teases me.

"Pretty much. I must throw out that glove there. I cannot find the other and I went through my belongings a dozen times" I mutter. "I will not need many gloves only one pair is good for me"

"I happen to know where that other glove is" Meg giggles as she comes in the room.

"Tell me so I can pack these both up" I tell her.

"Well, it is not here" Meg says.

"In town? Did I leave it at church?" I wonder.

"No" snickers Jo.

Meg smiles at Jo.
They knew where my glove was at.

"Where is it?" I wonder.

"Whom has it not where it is" chuckles Meg.

"Who has my glove? I want it back" I demand.

"John once took Meg's glove, and she was sickeningly silly about it. Oh boy he has my glove" teases Jo.

"Shush Jo! Once a fellow keeps your little glove you will be thrilled" scoffs Meg.

"Doubtful" snaps Jo with an eye roll.

"Come on! Who has my glove! I want it back" I demand.

"Laurie!" Jo says softly.

Laurie was hanging on to my glove? Why? He was into Jo not into me. Why did he have my glove as if he was missing me? Trying to hang onto me? A blush creeps into my cheekbones.

"Why?" I ask her.

"You were courting. He found it one day left out on the table and I saw it in his library room the other day" Jo says.

So, they had been hanging out together.
Talking. My heart sinks.

"So? Good for him" I mutter.