ONE

sage

i let out a groan as i let my head fall onto the table. i laid there for a moment before lifting my head back up. i stared at my homework for a moment.

i don't get this shit.

"you look like you're about to jump off a bridge or some shit."

"this shit is making me want to," i muttered.

i looked up to see who had said that. my eyes widened a bit as my eyes scanned over her face. she had black, shoulder length hair, light blue, almost clear blue eyes, a little button nose, and soft, plump lips.

damn, she's pretty.

she took a sip of her coffee as she leaned down to look at my work. i leaned back some as she did, because she had gotten pretty close to me when she leaned down.

"oh, damn, you got that class too?" she quizzed. "man, i don't understand shit in there. do you?"

"does it look like i understand this shit?"

she let out a loud laugh as she stood up straight again. "nah, you look like you're struggling, for real."

she's pretty and has a cute laugh?

i watched as she sat in the seat in front of me. i raised a brow.

she certainly isn't shy, that's for sure.

"i tried to get my friend to help with it, but he ain't too smart either," she sucked her teeth.

"it'd help if the professor didn't talk a mile a minute," i sighed.

"true," she agreed.

she then leaned forward across the table. her eyes were squinted a bit as she stared at me, almost like she was trying to figure me out.

"what?" i raised a brow; it came off more harsh than i intended it to, but whatever.

"you're from los angeles, aren't you?" she questioned.

"yeah... how did you..?" i trailed off.

"i was born and raised in la; i can just tell. plus, your accent gave it away. you certainly aren't from here," she said before attempting (and horribly failing) a new york accent.

i shook my head with a small laugh. "right."

"i like your hair," she complimented after she took a long sip from her coffee. "it's really cool."

"thanks."

i tried to resume my work. she still sat in the seat in front of me though.

"what's your name?" she asked.

"sage."

"that's a pretty name. i'm billie."

"that's a weird name," i told her.

she let out another laugh. "dude, i was literally named after my grandad, who's name is william. he's dead," she explained.

did she really just casually mention that he's dead—

"you think billie is weird, but you haven't even heard my full name," she snickered.

"lemme hear it then."

"billie eilish pirate baird o'connell."

i looked up from my homework to stare at her. my jaw was dropped a bit. "it's so long, and for what? and pirate?"