1.2.3

The Weirdo On Maple Street

Missy

The group head downstairs to the basement after dinner, Mike carrying a tray of meatloaf.

"El?" He calls as they all head over to the make-shift den, "No adults, just us and some meatloaf."

The girl in the den just stares at the others hesitantly and Mike notices this, "Don't worry. They won't tell anyone about you, they promise. Right?"

"We never would have upset you if we knew you had superpowers." Dustin confesses, earning a nod from Missy and a shove from Mike.

"What Dustin is trying to say," Benji begins, "Is that we were just scared earlier and in shock."

"We just wanted to find our friend." Lucas admits with a small smile.

"Friend?"

"Yeah, friend...Will." Lucas answers, confusion covering his face.

"What is friend?" The girl asks, confusing everyone.

"Is she for real, right now?" Missy whispers to Benji who just shrugs, trying hard not to judge the bald girl.

"Uh, a friend is someone..." Lucas starts before Mike cuts in, "You'd do anything for!"

"You lend them your cool stuff, like comic books and trading cards." Dustin smiles widely.

"You support them, despite any mistakes or bad choices they make." Benji adds, glancing at the brunette girl stood beside him.

"And you defend them when someone talks bad about them." Missy sighs shamefully, playing with her fingers.

"And they never break a promise." Mike interjects,

"Especially when there's spit." Lucas says, only confusing the girl.

"Spit?"

"A spit swear means," Lucas spits into his hand and shakes Dustin's, "You never break your word, it's a bond."

The other boy looks to his hand in disgust and Missy hold back a gag, turning to look at anything else while Mike continues, "That's super important because friends...they tell each other things. Things that parents don't know."

Upon hearing the last part of his sentence, Missy shares a look with Benji who then rubs her arm reassuringly. He's the only one who knows about Missy's need to be perfect, to not disappoint.