3.3.1

The Case Of The Missing Lifeguard

Benji

Benji sits besides Will at the table as Mike and Lucas continue to rant about their now-ex girlfriends.

Twirling the D&D playing piece in his fingers, the Nelson boy stares off into space, deep in thought. Thoughts of his girlfriend's sudden absence had taken over his mind the whole day since their run in with the girls at the mall. He couldn't think of why she would lie to him about her girls day with Max that obviously didn't happen.

"What's wrong?" Will asks him quietly, as to not draw any attention from their other friends.

Benji sighs before shaking his head and continuing to help set up for their campaign, "It's nothing, I was just daydreaming."

Will watches his friend for a moment, knowing that wasn't all that's on Benji's mind considering he's terrible at hiding his emotions, but ultimately decides not to push the subject.

"What's wrong with me? What did I do wrong?" Mike continues to ramble and the two boys at the table share an annoyed look.

"Nothing." Lucas reassures his friend, "Mike, do I have to go through this again?"

"I just don't understand what I did to deserve this." Mike continues to stuff his face with chips and Benji holds back a grimace.

"Nothing, nothing!" Lucas exclaims, "That's my whole point - you're the victim here."

"Is he though?" Benji mutters under his breathe and only Will hears his words, sensing that his usually patient friend is beginning to lose his patience.

"I know, it's just, why is she treating me this way?" Mike continues to victimise himself, "I don't know why-"

"Mike."

"What did I do wrong?" He asks for like the thousandth time, "What did I do wrong?"

"Mike, stop." Lucas rolls his eyes, "Relax, just relax. Stop asking rational questions."

"I know, I know." Mike nods, "You're right, because women act on emotion and not logic."

"Precisely, it's a totally different species."

"What are you even talking about?" Benji asks, "That was such a jerk thing to say."

"Well, it's different for you," Mike shrugs at the strawberry blonde boy as if it's obvious, "Missy acts like she doesn't have emotions."