1.5.1

The Flea and the Acrobat

Benji

The party are currently sat in Mikes basement, Eleven is lying on the couch exhausted with Mike beside her. Benji and Missy are sharing a beanbag and Lucas is sat on a chair, Dustin beside him on the stairs.

"What was Will saying?" Mike speaks up, "Like home...like home but dark?"

"And empty." Lucas adds.

"Empty and cold...did he say cold?" Dustin asks and Benji nods,
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said cold."

"I couldn't tell half of what he was saying - the stupid radio kept cutting out." Missy groans, leaning her head on Benji's shoulder.

"Like home...like his house?" Mike continues with his rambling.

"Or maybe like Hawkins." Lucas suggests instead.

Their thought process is cut short by El mumbling, "Upside down."

"What'd she say?" Lucas asks Missy only to get a shrug in response.

"Upside down," Mike repeats, "Upside down. When El showed us where Will was she flipped the board over, remember?" he flips the board before pointing out the black underside, "Upside down. Dark, empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas now asks Benji, who looks between the two,
"Uh, sure."

"Real answer?" Missy interjects,

"Not a clue."

"Guys come on, think about it. When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah, he wasn't there." Lucas comments.

"But what if he was there? What if we just could see him? What if he was on the other side?" Mike flips the board again, "What if this is Hawkins and," he flips it back, "This is where Will is? The Upside Down."

Benji and Dustin raise there eyebrows in realisation before responding in unison, "Like the Vale of the Shadows."

"The what?" Missy asks, totally lost in this conversation.

"From D&D? You literally used to play with us." Benji laughs and she just plays with her fingers,

"Sorry, it's been a while."

Dustin grabs the D&D manual and slams it down onto the table before searching for the right page.

"The Vale of the Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world," he reads, "It is a place of decay and death...a plane out of phase...a place of monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it."