Chapter 29

Liza P.O.V.

I hated hospitals.

I hated the blank coloured walls, the creaky chairs in the waiting rooms, and the haggard-looking doctors that shuffled past every few minutes.

Everything screamed death.

I hugged my arms closer around myself as I sat in the waiting room, waiting anxiously for news about Macey. I couldn't get the sight of her arms and legs wrenched in all the wrong directions out of my head. What could have done something like that to her?

Would they do it again?

I shivered at the thought. What if what had done that to Macey had gone after me instead? I was around the same area. It could have just have easily been me in that emergency room, and some innocent bystander would be sitting in my place.

Or maybe no one would find me.

And that's when I slapped myself. Hard.

"Are you alright, miss?" the secretary asked from her desk, probably thinking I had gone demented.

I gave her a small smile. "Yes. I just needed to get my mind off of things." I said, cupping my red cheek.

She nodded knowingly. "Who are you waiting for?"

"Macey...uhh.." I said, not knowing her last name. That's all the information I had had to give the people at the hospital, and they said they would go search the records.

The secretary looked down at her list, scanning down the names. "A Macey Auburn was admitted a hour ago, is that her?"

The time sounded about right. "I think so. Do you know if she's alright?"

"No." she said, tapping her paper with her pen, studying me. I sighed in disappointment. "But she's in room 341 if you wanted to go see her."

I jumped up. "Thank you." I said sincerely, before rushing down the hallway.

                                                             ************************************

"Please let me have one look at least!" I pleaded for tenth time, pretty much willing to go down on my hands and knees.

"I'm sorry, but she is in an extremely critical condition." the doctor said, without even glancing in my direction.

"She needs moral support! At least until her family arrives!"

He shook his head, scribbling something on his sheet. "Her family has been contacted and they are on their way. She is under heavy sedatives, and wouldn't even know that you were there."

"Maybe she could sense my presence?" I said, really stretching the excuses now.

The doctor finally turned to look at me. "Look, Miss -"

"Macdonald."

"You will not be allowed to see her. That's final." he said, scowling. "You are welcome to wait outside her room though, and we will keep you updated."

I huffed angrily, but made my way over to the chair that stood at the side of the corridor, a table and a stack of magazines next to it. Sitting down, I crossed my arms and legs simulataniously, still glaring at the doctor.

He was such a liar. I had seen at least three doctors come in and go out of the room, all carrying clipboards, and not one of them would tell me anything. I had a right to know what was happening! I had brought her here in the first place.