Chapter 38

Liza P.O.V.

Wow, these sheets are soft.

I should of course be thinking of much more pressing topics - such as my imminent demise, my jerk of a soul mate, and the fact that I felt like I was going to have a very bad hair day.

But how could you concentrate on those things, when in fact, nothing matters much except for these deliciously warm blankets that are wrapped around me? They smelled slightly of lavender, and I inhaled the sweet scent, almost falling asleep again. Unlike my sheets on my bed at home, these didn't twist around your feet and strangle you during the night. No, these lay smoothly around you, trapping the wonderful warmth, and making you feel like you could go right back to sleep again.

I smiled, and rolled over in the spotlessly white bed, the sheets flowing with me. I rolled over again, cocooning myself in a roll of blankets. I should have fallen off my bed already, if I were at home. But no, I was in the house of a dirty rich, corrupted ruler who should just go-

Oof.

Guess that bed wasn't as large as I thought it was.

I sat up, and rubbed the back of my head, hoping that it wouldn't bruise. The last thing I needed was a concussion. The blankets had cushioned the rest of my body from the fall, and I silently thanked them, before forcing myself to get up from the floor. I carefully placed the sheets back onto the bed.

Looking out of the window, which I had forgotten to pull a curtain over last night, I could see that it was barely dawn. The sun was just inching over the treetops, coating the sky in shades of vibrant colours.

I sighed contentedly, and headed over to the door. The hallway was empty. No one sane would be up at a time like this. I skirted down the dim hallway, and locked myself in the bathroom, flicking the lights on.

Dropping my crumpled clothes onto the floor, I turned the shower onto full blast. Steam curled around the tops of the shower cubicle, and the mirror slowly started to fog up. But not before I saw that yes, my hair was truly atrocious.

The water welcomed me as I stepped under the blazing downpour. It flowed over my body, easing the slight tension between my shoulders and flattening my static hair. Looking around, I only saw one bottle of shampoo, and it was for men. I critically scanned the back of the tube, making sure there were no hazardous substances in it, before I lathered it into my hair.

Hmm... it wasn't even that bad. Maybe I should use men's shampoo more often. And it wasn't scented like strawberries, or coconut - smells that always choked me during the day when the wind brushed my hair. No, it smelled a lot more familiar, and homely. It was nice.

Huh. That was interesting.

Normally, I would have to use conditioner, to make sure that my hair actually had the ability to be combed. Knots always tortured me when I wasn't at home, because I only knew one type of conditioner that could make sure they all disappeared. This shower, didn't have any. Which would mean at least an hour of torture.

Oh well, at least it was still early.

I hummed under my breath as I drew patterns in the steamed glass door of the shower. Maybe today wouldn't be so bad, I thought hopefully to myself, Maybe, Brent will just go train somewhere, and you won't have to spend the whole day with him. That way, you won't have to see him, which will mean you can't start to like him again. Yes, I think that's the best tactic. Avoiding.

But what about when he marks me? What will happen then? Will it hurt? I don't even know how to mark someone, for God's sake! What if it's something truly horrible? But I have to let him do it. I promised. And it can't be that bad...