Chapter 5

As promised, another chapter! YAY :D

I know it might not be as interesting as... well... the others - but I hope you enjoy!

Merci <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liza P.O.V.

The rest of the day was hazy. I couldn't see. My eyesight was blurred. I was numb. I couldn't feel my body. I didn't speak. I didn't hear. I went to my last three classes and stared blankly at the front of the room.

I think this is called going with the flow. In the most extreme way.

The last bell rang and I walked down the hallway, not meeting anyone's eyes, knowing I would see no pity, no compassion. I was alone. I was a ghost. Nothing more.

Biking home slowly, I ignored the wind on my face, the birds in the trees, the small flowers growing in the cracks of the pavement. They didn't matter anymore. Nothing did.

I pulled up my driveway and leant my bike carefully against the house. Walking up the porch steps to the front door, I opened it.

I heard sobbing.

Instantly, my senses awakened again. My vision became clearer, and my legs started hurrying towards the living room, forgetting their numbness. I pushed my own sorrow aside as I heard the heart-breaking sounds, knowing that I must help in any way I could.

I went in the doorway, and was greeted by the most horrible sight.

"Marie?" I asked softly.

She looked up from her knees and her red, swollen eyes met mine, and I gasped. The whole right side of her face was blue, the colourful splotches decorating her skin in the most gruesome way.

I ran over to her and fell on the floor beside her, not feeling when the rough wooden floor pushed splinters up my knees. I took her hands in mine.

"Marie. What happened?" I asked softly, already knowing the answer.

She opened her mouth to speak, but instead another sob came out. I took her in my arms, and leant against the wall with her, waiting for her sobs to quieten. A few minutes later I heard my mom come in, her normally kind expression in the most violent rage I had ever seen.

"Mom. What happened?" I asked her, not leaving Marie's side as she broke into another round of sobs.

Walking over, she sat down beside us, and took us all in her arms. At her comforting touch, Marie slowly calmed down, and soon she was breathing evenly. She had fallen asleep from exhaustion, from crying for who knows how long.

My mom's blue eyes met mine, and I nodded as we carefully picked her up and laid my sister on the couch. I got a quilt from the cupboard, and laid it over her trembling frame. I had never seen my sister so terrified.

Once we were sure she was okay, my mom beckoned me to follow her into the kitchen. I sat down at the table, and she handed me a cup of tea. She poured one for herself and sat across from me.

After a few minutes of silence, I asked again, "Mom, what happened to Marie?"

She looked up at me, and I saw a single tear running down her pale cheek. She gulped down some tea before answering.

"I wasn't able t-t-to get m-much out of her, but from what I got.... I th-think," she stumbled over the words, as if they horrified her to say them. "that a group c-cornered her behind the school and" she took another gulp of her tea, "they b-beat her up."