7) The Weight In The Words That You Preach

"Welcome Lyndsey, we were waiting for you." Dr. Hoppus said as I entered the studio.

"We?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"There's someone I want you to meet..." As he declared that, I noticed there were other two people sitting on the couch. Two boys. One of them was very pale, brown hair, blue eyes, good looking, about my age or so. The other one was... wait, wasn't he the guy that helped me out with that bully at school?

I was pretty sure it was him. What was he doing here?

He was nervously tapping on his knees as if he really didn't want to be here. Probably, his parents just forced him, like mine did with me.

As our eyes met, his mouth hung a bit open. He recognized me, cool.

I sat on Dr. Hoppus' chair and left my jacket on the desk.

"Lynn, this is Alex." Dr. Hoppus introduced, placing one hand on the pale guy's shoulder. He clearly wasn't at ease right now, I don't get how Dr. Hoppus didn't see it.

"And this is Brian." He added, patting the other guy's back.

"Don't touch." Brian responded in an annoyed tone, and that was when Dr. Hoppus retraced his hand.

"And yeah, I know her." Brian affirmed, turning to look at me. He looked like he was studying my face, perhaps he was trying to read me. Or he was just wondering why I was there.

"My presence for now is unnecessary" Dr. Hoppus declared.

Of course it isn't, since this session isn't paid, I thought to myself.

"I'm going to leave for a while so that you can get to know each other with no pressure at all. Have a good time, guys." He announced while standing up. I didn't notice he was gone until I heard the door slam shut.

I felt so nervous, and the boys obviously felt uncomfortable too. Alex had his eyes glued to the ground, and Brian was constantly snorting, until he decided to speak up.

"So, Lynn. What the fuck is wrong with you?" he snapped, sounding pissed.

That was rude.

"Sorry?" I was getting mad at his attitude.

"You heard it. If you're here, it means there's something wrong with you too. There's always something fucking wrong with people like us!" he spat.

"I... I don't believe that..."

"What? What are you going to say? Let me clear the air: no one will ever believe you, it doesn't matter what you saw or heard." He cut me off.

Now that was obviously a deeper feeling he was burying. It was like he was reminding that to himself instead of talking to me, or at least he was referring to himself. He had no idea what was going on in my mind.

"You shouldn't think you're the one in the wrong." I said, calmly, and he let out a humorless laugh.

"You don't understand... No one does. That's why I'm wasting my time in a place I never wanted to be at." He replied, rolling his eyes.

I could tell he had had enough of being called 'crazy' and I'm not in the position to blame him. That's what they do to you, they try their little brainwash to make you think you're the one in the wrong.

I get that people don't believe the stuff I tell, I can't force them, can't change their ideas. You shouldn't care if they think you're insane, it's not going to change the truth.

But when you start believing that too, that's when you're lost.

"If you want to know what's my 'problem', it's about my dreams. I fill the truth through them, but no one seems to believe me. Honestly, I don't consider it as a dysfunction. It's a gift that I don't want to reject." I said. Well, not that I had choice anyway.