11) Sick Of The Lack Of Signal

"A dinner? Oh man, please don't..." I complained, as my father told me the unfortunate news. My parents invited Dr. Hoppus and his family over at our house for dinner, this evening.

"Lyndsey, it's going to be nice. We're going to have a good time with Dr. Hoppus and his step son. Mrs. Hoppus won't be able to come, by the way." dad replied.

"Why do you trust him so much?" I questioned.

"Because he's a family friend. I've known him since high school times." I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"Fine." I said and walked back upstairs to my room, locking it as soon as I shut the door. I sat on my bad, leaning against the bedpost. Then I pulled my phone out of my pocket and unlocked it, tapping lightly on its back wondering what to do. After ten minutes of thinking, I decided to text the boys. Why not?

I texted both Alex and Brian and we small chatted about anything, from the movies we liked to the music that should be considered illegal, to our favourite books. Such normal things any teenager would talk about. Even over a simple phone, I felt at ease talking with them, I didn't have to hide my real self. It felt good, and I felt accepted.

When the conversation with both of them died, I checked the time. Dr. Hoppus and his step-son would be there in about two hours... I had the time to take a nap, yeah.

I adjusted my position in the bed, buried my head in the pillow and closed my eyes, drifting myself to sleep.

-

I was running down a hill, laughing happily while reaching for the fireflies. Indeed, there was an army of fireflies wherever I turned. They would always lead me to some amazing location, so I always followed them.

I ran until we arrived at the path for a wood, what a wonderful wood it was. I stopped simply because I saw him again, the blue rabbit.

"Hey!" I called, but he ignored me. I started running towards him but he was always ten steps distant, and I ended up slipping on the ground and falling into a mug. My whole body and part of my hair went wet and I felt the pesky mud everywhere in my clothes, giving me itch.

But that was when the rabbit stopped and turned around to look at me.

"You're very stubborn, aren't you?" he asked and I nodded in response.

"Do you think I exist?" I nodded furiously, again.

By then, my eyes slid to a detail that I somehow hadn't noticed before: He had a clock hanging from his neck. Was it new? Cause I was ninety nine percent sure he had never wore it before. He checked the time and looked back at me.

"Clock is ticking. you have just a few more days." he stated. I thought about the meaning of that sentence for a few seconds, until I figured he was talking about the week my father yielded me.

"I need to know if you're real..." I declared and he just stared at me.

"I'm tired of feeling insane, II feel like a broken TV and I'm sick of the lack of signal. I need hints, I deserve to be sure of this now, don't I? I deserve to know where my sanity is going." I added as he broke his gaze and looked away.

It was the first time I had a conversation with him.

Before I could speak again, I felt him jump onto me, and a pair of bunny teeth just dug in my arm, causing me to whine.

"you're going to be okay.", said another voice that I didn't recognize. It didn't belong to the rabbit, it was a female voice. It somehow calmed me a bit as my voice weakened and I blacked out.