26) If I Change I Start To Fade

"Lynn, are you ready?" My mother asked from downstairs.

"Yeah, give me one more minute." I replied, looking at my reflection in the mirror of my room.

I was wearing a color maize dress. It was simple, short but not too much, with a cut on the back.

My hair was tied in a braid and I had light make up on. I took a necklace from my jewelry box, the one with a pendant in the shape of a cross, and put it on.

In all honesty, I looked pretty, there's no point in denying it. But I felt really uncomfortable... that wasn't my style, that wasn't me.

The girl that I was staring at in the mirror was just another version of me, one that must've been dug really deeply in my personality, cause I wasn't able to recognize that person. However, my protests were vain, but my mother agreed that I could wear a pair of ballerina shoes instead of high heels – thank goodness.

I took a deep breath and exited the room, walking slowly downstairs. I was greeted by my mother, who was dressed up elegant too.

"Aw Lynn... You look like Belle from Beauty And The Beast."

Well duh, if you say so.

"Thanks." I replied shortly.

"Why do I have to wear this stuff, anyways? Are we meeting the queen? The president? An ambassador?" I questioned and she let out a chuckle.

"No sweetie, but we've been invited to our new neighbors house and we want to give a good image of us, you know?" she said, not breaking her white teethed grin. It sounded so shallow.

"Ugh fine..."

"Plus... they have a daughter who's about your age. Maybe you two could make friends and-"

"Yes, I get it, mom. I know where you're getting at. Can we please just go now?" I said, crossing my arms. She let out a sigh and nodded her head once, leading me outside, where my dad was waiting in the car.

--

"Linda, Malcom! It's a pleasure to see you again." My dad nearly yelled when we entered the neighbors' house.

"Caleb, Barbara, we're glad you were able to come. I'm guessing you are Lyndsey?" Malcom said, turning towards me at the last part.

I nodded and he sent me a smile, but I couldn't tell whether it was genuine or not.

"Nice to meet you." He said and held out his hand, which I shook. I shook the lady's hand as well.

"My pleasure..." I mumbled. Ha, lie. I wasn't excited at all for tonight. I heard footsteps growing closer to us.

"And this is our daughter, Candice." Linda introduced, pointing at the girl that had just walked in the room. She was short and pale. Her hair was long and wavy, and her eyes blue as the sky. She was dressed fancy like us all, but I didn't exactly like her dress.

I mean, I barely liked mine, even though I admit my mother picked a very cute kind objectively.

"Nice to meet you." She said, holding out her hand.

"You too..." I shook her hand.

As a first impression, she looked like one of those daddy's daughters that didn't have to move a finger to get what they wanted. I could tell it by the way she moved and acted around us all. I could be wrong, though.

"Let me show you around." Malcom offered and leaded my parents to a whole tour of the house. This place looked smaller from outside, it's weird to see it this way. I was used to the sight of the house, but it was totally different than I thought, in here.