29) You Give Me Something To Talk About

After all, we're childhood friends.

Her words kept running through my mind, ringing like bells, pounding like drums. What does that mean? It couldn't be true, maybe I was still dreaming. but I felt SO awake!

"What did you just say?" I asked, as if searching for some sort of confirmation that I wasn't seriously going insane. She smirked at me.
"As if you didn't hear." she whispered and turned her attention back to the board.

"I need you to explain-"

"Time to time, Lyndsey. You'll have everything clear after school, okay?" she whispered.

"Hey, you two." Mr. Bouvier called us out. "If what you're saying is more interesting than my lesson, why don't you tell the rest of the class too?" he was usually chill, but since Alexa was the new girl we were kinda getting too much attention.

"Um... Uh..." I mumbled, not sure of how to respond. Luckily, Alexa took control of the situation.

"We're fine, thanks." she said. Mr. Bouvier raised an eyebrow at her and rolled his eyes.

"I don't think you want to get trouble on your first day, miss San Roman. First warning." he said and went back to the lesson.

I turned my head to see Alexa roll her eyes and open her notepad. She ripped a piece of paper and scribbled something on it. I tried to focus on my textbook and whatever Mr. Bouvier was saying, but it's hard to concentrate when you find your imaginary childhood best friend to be in the same class as you.

Then a convoluted piece of paper was tossed on my desk. I picked it up and turned around, seeing it was from Alexa, so I opened it.

The note read: "Meet me at the park at the end of the school. Come alone."

When I looked up at Alexa, her eyes were glued to the blackboard. She was playing it cool while I was nervous as hell. What's next, meeting Santa? I wouldn't be so surprised at this point.

I decided not to question it to her and folded the paper, placing it in my pocket.

--

Alexa hurried out of the classroom before I could follow her to ask her anything, but it didn't matter. I don't think she would've explained anything anyway, we were going to meet up soon.

"Is it me or there's something strange about that girl?" I heard Brian's voice coming from behind me, once I was in the hallway. When I turned around, he was walking next to me, setting his backpack on his shoulder.

"I'm not sure." I shrugged, lying. Of course there was something wrong, but if Alexa wanted to meet me alone maybe I wasn't supposed to talk about it with someone else just yet.

"I know you know something. Spit it out." he urged, and I shook my head.

"Lyndsey." I rolled my eyes.

"She's an old friend of mine. That's all."

"No, you're hiding something more."

"I said, that's all I know." it wasn't a total lie.

Sure, I didn't mention she was an imaginary friend, but I was sincere when I said I didn't know anything else. Alexa had always been reserved and somewhat mysterious, but for all these years that my parents had been convincing me that she didn't exist, I thought it was just the 'fascinating side of the character'.

Something that I created with my own ideas. Now, I wasn't so sure about that.

However, I was glad that History was our last lesson, so now I was able to go and meet up with Alexa.