𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁 -practically blind-

Heidi ended up inside the depressing grey and alcohol smelling doctors office just an hour after falling onto the ice. The old man cleaned up her scratches and stopped her nose from bleeding and further, Alexander sat in the waiting room with Trudy, swinging back and forth in his chair. The two humans didn't say much to each other, Alexander didn't even seem sure of why he was still here, with this woman he barely knew. My  guess is that he stayed just to make sure the "mädchen" would be alright. I had decided it was probably better for me to watch these two quiet souls in the hallway instead of staying with heidi. She was so confused it hurt my feelings, maybe I could have helped her through it, but I decided to be selfish that day and save myself some frustration and pain.

"Frau Seide?" Alexander finally spoke, turning to her with curiosity spilling out of his eyes.  Trudy turned to the boy, something seemed to change in his gaze as she faced him, his skin got paler and his eagerness wiped off his face. Why? You may ask, because Trudy looked worried out of her mind, on the verge of tears. Maybe he wanted to ask something about Heidi, but he quickly had to improvise and change the subject. Stumbling on his own words.

"How many children do you have?" Alexander asked, he could probably have found a better attempt to change the subject, but perhaps he just really wanted an answer.

Trudy frowned. Good god that woman loved to frown.

"What kind of question is that?" She asked, looking at him with a rather amused expression.

The young boy shrugged, probably scared he had said something impolite which I am sure he had not.

"I have six children." She answered simply, she was about to elaborate and tell him all about them when the door to the check up room swung open and the old doctor stepped out with a firm and calm manner.

Trudy stood up almost immediately–making her chair fall backward–and looked up at him.

"How is she?" She asked before Alexander could even blink.

"She's just fine, Frau Seide, no need to fret and fuss." He started, his voice was grave and raspy even as he delivered good news. "However, she will need glasses."

I knew that, but it seemed to hit Trudy like a gunshot to the chest.

"We can't afford it." She almost immediately retorted. Obviously they couldn't, glasses cost basically an arm and a lung compared to their income and this only became clearer as the doctor told her the exact price.

The doctor sighed and rubbed his temple.

"The girl is practically blind, Frau Seide. I am afraid you will have to find a way to get her some glasses."

I got tired of listening to that conversation quite quickly because of course a privileged old man with a great job, old money and two sons that both succeeded in life would just tell this poor young woman to make do as if money grew on trees. (because yes, i will spare you the details of the argument that followed)

When I entered the room by swiftly going straight through the door, Heidi was slowly walking around the check up room with careful steps. The shapes started making sense, she got used to the strange shape of the sink and noticed some things placed on the counters. She had never seen any of  these different instruments or objects in her life, and to be fair she couldn't really see them now either, but she saw the colours so plainly. All the colours and shapes of the place. On a cream white counter she found a metallic, silver coloured stick like object. She reached for it but I advised her not to take it in hand from that end. It was a knife, a tiny one, I think you call it a scalpel.

For once she listened to me and her gaze travelled over to a bright blue pile of somethings that looked like plastic bags. She reached for them but someone grabbed her shoulders and shoved her out the room.