𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽 -Christmas spirit-

Christmas eve 1942 was an especially anticipated day within the Seide household. They barely had enough money to make any kind of dinner, or offer presents to anyone, but they were rich in spirits and anticipating a very special arrival.

"Mama, stop pacing around like a maniac, there aren't any cakes to burn this time." Frieda sighed, she had convinced her family that she was trying to 'peacefully' read her book in an attempt to guilt them into calming down like she had, although sat right next to the only window facing Apfelstraße, shooting hasty glances outside every two seconds excitedly. Truth was that she could barely hold still. She couldn't wait to see her brother.

"Frieda, your book is upside down." Gisela pointed out as she walked past. The young girl quickly turned the book around and went red.  Obviously, she hadn't been reading and eventually got back up, caving into the same stress Trudy was feeling.

Heidi eventually had enough of the excited but unfortunately a bit tense atmosphere, so she decided to put her scarf, coat and shoes on and walk down to the end of the street. She opened the door to the last house as if it were her own home, which it might as well have been. Right as she stepped inside, Johann ran to see who had just entered their house, a spoon held high in the air in an attempt to look menacing. His eyes softened at the sigh of her, and his arm slowly relaxed. Heidi chuckled awkwardly. "I'm not a robber, Johann, I assure you." She said, "Can I come in?"

The young boy nodded, blushing, a bit embarrassed by his excessive reaction. Heidi smiled at him and gave him a quick hug in the hallway.

"Frohe Weihnachten, Johann." She said kindly. He mumbled it back shyly. Alexander then emerged from the kitchen, wearing a small apron Heidi recognised as one of her own, dusted with flour.

"You've got flour all over your nose, einzeller" She teased, smiling like an idiot and going over to hug him. It had been a while since she'd set foot in this house. For your information, the young man was now much taller than he'd once been. He had made a whole show about growing taller than Heidi. My dear person had not appreciated it as you may be able to imagine.

Despite the fact Heidi could barely reach his neck, she hugged him tightly.

"Frohe Weihnachten, Heidi." He chuckled. Heidi took note of the use of her real name, and not her wonderful nickname. She smiled, it must have been the Christmas spirit's doing.

"Frohe Weihnachten, Alex.'' She wished back, pulling away from him and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek as a greeting.

"Is that Heidi I heard?" They both heard Helga's cheerful voice  ask from inside  the kitchen. Heidi chuckled and quickly revealed herself to her. The golden haired woman smiled brightly and embraced her tightly, so much so Heidi thought she might have squeezed all the air out of her.

"Oh Heidi, my dear!" She exclaimed. "Thank heavens you're here. Alexander is hardly any help when it comes to baking, I mean look at him!" She gestured to his floured white face and completely stained apron.

"I need moral support." She sighed, rolling her eyes as she turned back to the kitchen counter, where some fresh dough lay, ready to be kneaded.

Heidi nodded, understanding her struggle. Alexander had many talents. He, however, also had many un-talents, baking was definitely one of them.

"I'll help." She offered but Helga quickly countered it.

"Oh no, no, no." She said, so fast Heidi  could barely understand. "This was supposed to be a surprise for you guys and your mother." She turned back around.

"You weren't supposed to see this, but I am truly glad you're here. How are you? How's Trudy?"

Alexander sat down at their kitchen table, so Heidi was quickly seated right next to him, before she even thought of answering.