𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈-𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴 burn the money, read the books

The leaves had slowly started turning brown and orange, the streets seemed to be decorated with trees made of gold. Heidi loved it and spent every morning painting, until she had to go back to school instead. On the morning of their school start Heidi waited outside of Alexander's house for about twenty minutes. She had no clue what was taking him so long.

"Fucking, einzeller." She muttered. I wanted to gasp, when had such vulgar words started coming out my little's human's mouth? She waited for yet another five minutes without any  additional swearing before Alexander finally ran out of his house.

"Sorry, mädchen!" He apologised in a hurry, before grabbing the bike. Heidi rolled her eyes but then before getting up on the bike, she stopped dead in her tracks.

"Didn't you say that we couldn't bring the bike to school incase...?" In case it had once belonged to one of their classmates was what she had wanted to say, but she felt this wave of guilt while thinking about it that made it impossible for her to do so.

"Heidi," He sighed. "We don't have many options do we? Either we're late, or we take this bike to school. You tell me which one is better." Heidi had to eventually get onto the bike, it did sound like a horrible idea to be late on the first day with a new teacher. She had hoped to make a good impression. Alexander started pedalling and Heidi wrapped her arms around him to prevent potential falls.

"If you hadn't been so late, we could have walked to school."  Heidi remarked with a slight tone of annoyance. She was terrified at the idea of someone recognizing their old possession. She had no wish to perpetuate the idea that everyone living on apfelstraße were robbers. She felt enough guilt for stealing the bike in the first place, in fact, she had already thought about bringing it back, but she was in no position to do so for many reasons. An example of that would be how she had no idea where they had taken it from.

Fortunately for the two friends, the school yard was empty when they arrived. Everyone had already gone inside, but even if it was a relief for Heidi, it slowly turned into something less positive as they saw what time it was. They were ten minutes late already.

"Shit." Alexander whispered before grabbing Heidi's hand and running up the stone steps and into the long corridors.

"Where is our new room?" Alexander asked hurriedly when he realised he was running without any destination. Heidi knew this, Frau Huber had said it at the end of last term and she remembered because of how simple it was.

"The door at the end of the corridor." She told her friend. They rushed up to said door and before knocking they both hesitated and shot a glance at each other. What if this teacher was worse than Frau Huber? What if this year would be doomed because of their late arrival?

"Please, Alex." Heidi eventually begged, staring at the door and his hand frozen in mid air. He took a deep breath and his hand hit three times, time seemed to slow down. They were going to be in so much trouble.

"Come in!" The teacher called from outside, Alexander pushed the door open slowly.

The two children stared down at the floor as soon as it revealed them both with a creak. The heads of their classmates turned toward them. Heidi didn't dare to look up, but Alexander did, taking Heidi's hand.

"Sorry for being late." he started with a slight tremble to his voice. "My brother was sick, and I made Heidi promise she would wait for me."

A full on wave of guilt washed over Heidi suddenly, she didn't know Johann was sick, she hadn't asked why Alexander was late. She felt like a terrible best friend.

Heidi then looked up at Alexander, her hand squeezed his slightly, and he gave her a watery smile. It was then that Heidi met eyes with the teacher, and she froze. Those brown eyes, those legant dark waves floating above the shoulders of a short and plump woman. She recognized her so well and then it hit her. Gertrude,Edith, the old witch.