𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙴𝙽 -A treehouse, A letter-

That night, when Heidi went to bed, she was happy, so happy in fact, that she could barely close her eyes, her wide smile made her dimples show, for no one apart from me to see. She thought of her day with Alexander, his family, her own family happily, she forgot the fact she was still rather hungry, she forgot how much she despised her twin sister. All thanks to Alexander, in a way.

Thank you Alexander Fischer.

As my dear Heidi was drifting away, into a nice dream, a few silent footsteps approached her bed. She heard the sound of a match being lit, and the air filled with the smell of a newly burning candle. Heidi turned to the sound, sensing who the dark figure sitting at the end of her bed was.

Wilma noticed she was awake and immediately sat down closer to her, holding the candle just under her face. Heidi saw the clear lines of a familiar soft smile and smiled back.

"So," Wilma whispered, getting even closer to Heidi, close enough for the young girl to feel the warmth of the candle against her cheeks. "Have you got yourself a new friend?"

***

She did. Let me tell you how it went.

The silence in the room became painfully loud, Heidi saw Helga whisper something to her husband, just before he chuckled softly. Heidi glanced at Alexander, who was visibly bored of this, contrary to Heidi who was sort of fascinated by this almost sickening display of affection.

Alexander slowly shuffled toward her, then whispered something she didn't quite catch.

"What did you say?" Heidi whispered back, before he could repeat himself, someone ran down the stairs in a rush.

It was Johannes Fischer, Alexander's younger brother.

"Mama!" He exclaimed, rushing up to her eager to get a hug. Helga beamed at her youngest and picked him up almost immediately. He rested his head against her chest for a second, smiling. In this sweet silence, Alexander watched his brother, he seemed to wait for something, and just when I wondered what that was, the three year old Johannes mumbled something to his mother.

"Oh, well what great timing, I just made some new cinnamon rolls." Was her gentle response to the boy's request.

I swear I heard Alexander celebrate under his breath, he hadn't had the courage to ask after getting scolded, but he seriously craved a cinnamon roll. I couldn't blame him, they had a divine smell.

Helga quickly cleared the table and set down five little plates that reminded Heidi of her Oma's porcelain plates. They were white, rather flat with a thin line of gold going all the way around them. Heidi found them very pretty and studied them for a while.

"Come sit down, Heidi." Fritz said, looking at an empty chair next to Alexander. Heidi shook her head, turning red with embarrassment.

"Nein, I should head home, i don't want to intrude-"

"It's no trouble at all, come sit." Helga said, smiling at her. "We're more than happy to have you."

Heidi slowly sat down and accepted the golden brown bun Fritz was offering her.

She smiled at him sincerely and politely, she couldn't deny she truly needed some extra food. The Fischer couple had noticed this, first because of her thin arms and second because of the way she devoured her bun in less than a minute. They didn't have much to give the young girl, but they made sure to add a few cinnamon rolls to her already filled bag.

"Do you want to go play outside?" Alexander asked Heidi quietly. "I have something to show you."

Heidi hesitated, knowing it was a bit cold outside, but then nodded. She got curious, what would he show her?