𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙴 -fire and lifeless dust-

"Are you awake?" Frieda asked her sister, in a whisper. It was dark and peacefully quiet. Heidi would have slept if the quiet hadn't been threatened, if that horrid alarm hadn't echoed through her mind as soon as she closed her eyes. She turned around slightly, facing her sister as best she could.

"Yes," She answered, her voice seemed much louder than it truly was in the silence, she shot a glance at Gisela and Mafred, who luckily were still sleeping.

"Can you not fall asleep?" Frieda continued, blinking slowly, her hauntingly light eyes glistening in the dark, it was the only thing Heidi could see without her glasses or at all.

Heidi nodded.

"Do you want to sleep?"

Heidi didn't know how to answer that, she was tired, but she feared to sleep.

"I don't know." She whispered sincerely, looking up at the slanted wooden ceiling above her.

"I don't want to either," She sighed. "I just keep thinking of all those articles about air raids and bombs,"
Heidi's eyes drifted back to her in concern.

"And, I just, I guess I'm scared we could all end up like that, dead and remembered as nothing but a number."

The idea of it sent a shiver down Heidi's spine. That is what happened after all, as the bombings became more frequent, the dead became just numbers, just like those fighting at the front. There was no memorial for all of them, just a small number indicating their life, a life that had been cut short.

"I don't want to become a number, Heidi." She whispered. Heidi could only nod, neither did she, or anyone else. Who would ever want that?

'What do you want to become, Frieda?" Heidi asked, changing the subject, she couldn't stand the dreadful thoughts Frieda had just sparked. 

"I don't know, but I want to move far away from here, from Germany." She stated with certainty.

"Why?" Heidi asked, as a way to keep the conversation going, in reality she didn't need an answer, she knew it, she felt the answer herself.

"I hate it here," She scoffed. "I hear Italy is pretty nice, close to the sea, warm." She smiled slightly.

"You know, I would even consider France, it also has warm seas, mountains, and-"
"And it's far away from here." Heidi completed pulling her covers closer to her face.

"I don't think they would let you in, after the war."

Frieda shrugged."I'll just learn how to speak French fluently and pretend I'm from switzerland."

Heidi burst out laughing. Frieda was terrible at French in school, worse than anyone in fact, no one would believe her.

"I don't think that would work," Heidi said with a slight giggle. Frieda shook her head.

"Of course it wouldn't, we're stuck here."

A silence emerged between them, but not for long, Frieda had always been a talkable person after all.

"Did you know mama speaks french?" She asked Heidi, the teenager's eyes widened at her sister. No, she didn't know that.

"What?" She practically stood up in her bed. Frieda nodded hurriedly.

"Yeah, properly, she's fluent-"

Alarms interrupted her, like a low wailing spreading throughout the room and sky and all things above it. Frieda jumped out of her bed,

"Gisela, Manfred!" She called automatically, grasping Heidi's arm as they ran downstairs, closely followed by their newly awoken siblings. Trudy ran out of her room just in time to see them all run downstairs.