𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈 -a spell of kindness-

On the Saturday after Heidi's cruel punishment Helga Fischer came over while her husband was working. Heidi was sitting at the kitchen table sketching out the naked and frozen tree outside the window. She couldn't be too precise since the tree was all blurry to her which annoyed her until remembered Wilma had said that it made her paintings unique.

"What are you doing, Heidi?" Trudy asked, quickly pulling out some kitchen supplies from the drawers.

"Drawing, mama." The girl looked up too late and didn't get to see the warm smile Trudy gave her while she was focused on her drawing. That's when Helga arrived, the door slammed open and slammed back shut almost immediately. Trudy turned to the entrance and her smile widened just before Helga's arms flung to her neck and she pulled her into a tight embrace.

"Oh trudy! I was so happy to get your letter you have no idea-" Heidi couldn't see it very well, but it seemed like Trudy had hushed Frau Fischer by covering her mouth. Once she went quiet Trudy then briefly tilted her head toward heidi. Helga didn't move for a second, Heidi figured she didn't expect her to be there.

"Guten tag, frau fischer." Heidi greeted after a short silence. Helga let out a slight relieved breath and smiled.

"How many times have I told you to call me helga?" She asked playfully, rolling her eyes up at the ceiling. Heidi shrugged, picking her pencil back up.

"I wouldn't dare with mama around." She answered, her hair falling over her artwork like a curtain. Helga gasped and turned to Trudy, her eyes wide and eyebrows raised.

"Since when don't you allow your daughter to call me Helga?" She inquired with a theatrical tone.

Trudy chuckled softly, turning to the unwashed dirty dishes.

"I had no clue you'd met." She informed her, sounding so much more light-hearted than she usually would have, and then it was Heidi that got a confused look from Helga.

"You haven't told your mother that you spend hours every day with my son?" She asked. Heidi frowned.

"Of course I have! mama knows about Alex!" She exclaimed defensively. The two turned to Trudy. She rubbed her temple looking more exhausted than ever.

"Oh no of course! Of course I know about Alexander, so obviously you've met before." She sighed, grabbing a towel to dry the wet dishes. "Forget I said that I didn't know." 

"Trudy, are you okay?" Helga asked with this soft tone that she was always able to conjure at the right time.

Trudy chuckled. "I'm just tired."

"Well then sit down! Let me take care of whatever you're doing." She offered, inching toward the sink. Trudy stopped her quickly.

"'No, you're my guest, i'm not letting you make lunch-"

She didn't get to finish as Manfred started screaming. Heidi let out an annoyed sigh, she hated crying babies, especially when she was trying to concentrate.

Helga took this as her opportunity, and led Trudy out of the kitchen.

'Go get him and sit down on the sofa, I'll make food today."

"Helga-"

"Trudy." She insisted.

She finally gave up and went upstairs to go get fussy little manfred who was probably hungry or unhappy for whatever other reason.

Heidi noticed after a while that the kitchen was louder when Helga cooked than when Trudy did. Heidi wondered where this woman got all the energy she had, she'd never seen her mother act the way Helga did every single day. After thinking about it for a while she came to the conclusion that everyone was different and left it at that.