𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙾𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝚃𝚆𝙾 -cold and grey-

Wilma's letter came shortly thereafter, after a whole day of complete despair on Heidi's part. The girl spent her week-end in bed, barely eating anything, mostly because of the high fever–that had potentially been partially responsible for her pitiful state, but that Heidi also knew served as more of a simple and dumb excuse for it. It gave her the right to stay home, immobile in her bed on the following Monday and Tuesday. Her fever got better quite quickly, it was nothing but an ordinary cold  after all but her emotions lingered, her homesickness still plagued her once the fever went away, and I feared it would never go away and my fears were arguably proven right, but sometimes challenged, like on Tuesday morning, when a small envelope appeared in The Seide family's letter box.

Trudy had forced Heidi to get out by ordering her to get the post, which she eventually did unwillingly. Her steps felt heavy as she walked through the creaking house and she took extreme care in keeping her glasses high upon her nose, so the sight of her 'old' home wouldn't present itself in front of her or even just appear in the corner of her eyes. The cold morning breeze hit her face like a brick after she stepped outside, a slight shiver went through her whole body, but then a small smile appeared on her face. It smelled like winter. If you don't know what I mean by that, let me describe it to you. The air was cold, fresh and crisp, so much so it hurt her throat as she breathed it in. The neighbours had recently burnt some wood in their fireplace, the smell of that smoke hung above Heidi, letting the smallest amounts of scent near her, and that's how she knew it was about to get colder, or even start snowing, with a newfound smile etched upon her face, my dear heidi took a few steps toward the mailbox and slid the rusted key into its lock. A few struggles later, it swung open as the lock finally gave in. Two white envelopes were neatly tucked away in the very back of the box, waiting to be picked up. Heidi grabbed the small pile and read the address on the top one, pausing her breathing for a minute, hoping for a reply from her dearest sister.

It was a bill, She sighed, trying to stop her disappointment from consuming her entirely. She didn't even bother to read the second one, it was likely to be a boring expensive bill, and she wouldn't put herself through two disappointments in a row, not if she could help it.

She went back inside, leaving the winter scented air behind just as the door closed with a loud noise. After taking her boots off she went into the kitchen and slammed the bills onto the kitchen table.

"For you." She said with a light sniffle, her nose had turned red from the cold.

Trudy looked up from the soup she was making. Heidi took her scarf and coat off,

"Ah." She said, picking them both up with a sigh, as she slid the top one away to read the second one, she chuckled.

"Well, this isn't a bill." She remarked, giving it back to Heidi. "It's for you." 

Heidi picked it back up, readjusting her glasses, she had to read the names written on it at least twenty times before actually believing it was true. She said nothing and quickly left the kitchen and jumped onto the sofa in the living room holding the letter between her delicate artistic hands as if it were made out of pure gold. I would tell you it practically was, but that would have been an insult to it in itself. This letter was far more valuable to my human than some stupid gold. What could gold bring her that Wilma couldn't after all? She had been the one to give her the priceless gift of glasses, she had been the one to hold her as she cried after family dinners, she had been the one to shape her morals and viewpoints throughout her life, and she had been her most consistent friends through the years, and even if she had doubted her loyalty recently, she had just proven it to be as strong as heidi thought.

My Dearest Heidi,

I am so sorry, you must have waited ages for my reply, I have been very busy, but I realise now, I should have prioritised this letter of yours more than any previous ones, which I failed to do, and I am deeply sorry about it. I am beyond shocked, and I don't really know what to say. All I can tell you is that I am proud of you, and Frieda and Manfred and Gisela as well as Mama. I love you, all of you. I can also assure you none of this is your fault, and that you did your best to stop it all. I miss you, and I pray things get better, although I do not believe in god anymore. I want to hug you, Heidi. I regret not coming over for Easter more than anything. My guilt has no bounds as I now realise I left you in a house, and not a home. I will be there with you as soon as possible, which unfortunately might be over christmas.