𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽 -letters-

March 2nd 1940

Dear  Wilma,

I'm sorry I didn't answer any of your letters sooner. I must admit to you that I didn't even read your first one because I couldn't bring myself to. I miss you. I want you to look at my paintings and smile, I want you to hug me every time I'm upset. Every day I hope you'll just come back because it's not the same without you, actually, It's so much worse without you. I assume you want an update on things, so I'll try to keep it short, but as I just said, things are getting worse here without you, so don't expect to smile while reading this. Mama and Papa can't stop fighting and when they aren't I feel like papa's barely home at all. He's just out day and night doing "god knows what" as mama says. Mama isn't that present either honestly, but I mean I can't blame her for wanting to spend time with Helga, they're great friends, and it's obviously difficult for her too, but...Well I'm not going to dwell on it for too long but, basically, no one listens to us, and Frieda and I end up taking care of Gisela and Manfred almost all the time. I love them, but I'm getting tired, and I just can't do it all that well. Thankfully, when mama is too tired Frieda usually cooks at least, because i don't intend to burn the house down (And i definitely would if I had to try and cook anything) instead I help Gisela with her homework. Manfred doesn't bother to do this at all, and his teachers keep arguing with mama about it, it's exhausting and repetitive. Oh yes, I almost forgot, around a week ago I screamed at Frieda. I said a horrible thing to her and now we aren't on speaking terms anymore, I have no clue how I'm supposed to apologise.  Anyway, enough of my complaining, thank you for your birthday card.,.k|    ±! It really made my day although I only read it this morning, as it arrived late. I'm also glad to hear you're okay and that training is going well, you really deserve it. I hope you can answer soon, because I have many other things to tell you about.

(ps: You talked about coming back here over Easter before you left, are you still planning to do that?)

Yours kindly,

Heidi

March 10th 1940

Dear Heidi,

I'm really sorry to hear about papa and mama, I truly hope they'll sort their things out soon enough. My training is keeping me really busy. I've had to read countless books at the library just to understand the basics of what they're talking about. I probably won't be able to come over for Easter this year, but I'll try. I'm sorry if that disappoints you. I'm simply too busy, especially since we've started working in hospitals now. Anyway, as for the fight with Frieda, I would like to know exactly what happened, otherwise I don't think I'm familiar enough with the situation to tell you what to do. However, I can tell you this: it is always best to apologise instead of letting it go and hope she'll do the same.  I hope you're doing okay, and I hope things get better soon.

With love,

Wilma.

March 15th 1940

Dear Wilma,

I'll try to take your advice and apologise to Frieda tonight...If i can. And don't worry It's alright if you can't come for Easter, but I sure will miss you a lot but it's okay, I need to get used to this. What hospital do you get to work in? It sounds interesting, I still don't truly understand how you found and got into the training, but I guess that might be a story for another time. Did I mention we have new neighbours? I don't think I have, anyway, they're quite nice! They live right next door. I know it sounds almost unbelievable that someone finally  decided to buy the second part of the house, but the Werner family did, and Astrid (The only daughter of the family) has become my friend. She's super nice and funny, although sometimes she seems a bit reckless, Alexander doesn't like her, he's told me he would rather we start hanging out with Tilda again but I simply can't do that after what I did a few weeks ago, it was horrid and I'm decided to never attempt and speak to her again. Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on this, I want to know how you're doing. How are you? Have you been training or working a lot lately? Have you got any new friends? I wish you the best but I have to go downstairs now and set the table before mama blows up on me.