𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙵𝙸𝙵𝚃𝚈 𝙾𝙽𝙴 -why?-

"Heidi, Did he do anything to you-"

"I've told you already."

The young girl mumbled, nursing a mug of what used to contain warm tea. She lifted it up to her lips, and once she realised it had gone cold she put it back on the wooden table in front of her. Wilma sighed, she couldn't get her sister to look her in the eye. It felt as if her eyes were permanently glued facing downward.

Heidi wouldn't look at her, because she couldn't stand crying anymore. Every single time she met eyes with Wilma tears would pour out of her eyes, as if she'd morphed into a fountain. Was it her resemblance to Gisela? Was it her association with everything she had lost? Or was it just that she had missed her? She would never know. All she knew was that she wanted to avoid spilling any more tears on anything because it never fixed a thing, no matter how hard she begged, sobbed and prayed nothing changed.

Wilma slowly got up from her chair and went around the table, to crouch down to Heidi's level.
"Look at me, hey," She whispered, taking her hands. "Talk to me" Heidi shook her head and looked away, her lip began trembling. Her breaths got heavy by the second, and before she knew it her eyes welled with tears. She had too many things to cry about, she had too many things to get out, but for a good while she only shook her head and sniffled, unable to form a proper sentence.

"Why did I live?" She eventually croaked, her voice cracking as she fell into Wilma's arms. "Why did I live, Wilma! Why did I take that train!" Her sister's arms wrapped around hers tightly as if to contain her from doing anything stupid.
"Why did he want to lead me away! Why did mama's rosary break!"

Wilma let her chin rest on her shoulder, and closed her eyes. Heidi was trembling uncontrollably.

"Heidi-"
"Why, Wilma!" Heidi yelled desperately to the point where she lost her voice and breath. I thought her lungs must have almost given up by that point.

"Why did I live! I don't want to live!"

That truly stung. I had truly made a mistake.

"Don't say that." Wilma whispered to her. "Don't say that"

The young girl could feel her sister's breath against her face, and cried even more,  hearing the tremble in her voice.

"Don't say that, bärchen."

Heidi almost stopped breathing at the sound of her childhood nickname. She burst into uncontrollable painful sobs, Wilma held her tighter as she almost went entirely limp. I simply watched, unable to ease my dear person's confusion and her hurt. Her older sister, who had held a reasonable amount of composure until then let tears roll off her cheeks, bringing her dark mascara with it.

***

The door opened slowly, Heidi was laying on a mattress facing the kitchen, it had previously been Wilma's bed, but now she slept on the sofa instead. Heidi had tried to argue with her about it, saying she could sleep on the sofa, but Wilma had shook her head and told her she needed the rest more than she did, and that she was still recovering. The young girl's heavy eyelids opened, as she heard Wilma's footsteps going up to the door, her vision was blurry, because she hadn't put her glasses on. Her old glasses had shattered in the explosion. Their golden frame had disappeared with Apfelstraße, and once she told the doctors about it, they were kind enough to give her some kind of substitute. Heidi couldn't quite hear what was being said from the doorway, but she knew a young woman was at the door, until she heard another voice, who seemed to belong to a young man. She heard their footsteps through the short hallway and quickly got back onto her pillow and turned away from the kitchen.

Amelie, who I had already met, accompanied by her brother entered the room with slow careful steps. Amelie put a basket with some bread and vegetables on the table. Wilma drifted into the room, putting the kettle down. Heidi could feel someone's eyes on her. Amelia was indeed watching her with a soft gaze dotted with sadness.