Prologue

Burnt out gifted kid? No, not so burnt out yet.

Of their first year in college finance course, and first mid quarter college tests it appears to (y/n) they aren't the highest scorer in class; to their disappointment.

"It's Jean Gunnhildr." They scowl. Jean was busy fixing up the clutter of paper on her desk, dismissing the waves of congratulations from classmates who were either secretly envious as well or genuinely proud of the top student.

Silently packing up their stuff and exiting the classroom without saying a word even to their bestfriend Kokomi, third in class, (y/n) in a daze strolled the halls.

"Ayato! I heard you scored highest among all third years!" (Y/n)'s classmate Ayaka runs past them and greets her holder brother.

"Third year student Ayato in the same course, I hear too much about you." From aaaalll the teachers, and especially his sister who is blatantly proud of his achievements.

Since they were all going in the same direction, (y/n) was following behind listening into their conversation unwillingly until Ayaka left for student council business.

"Ayato." They call him.

"Hm?" He turns around, shocked to see someone had been behind him.

(Y/n) awkwardly scratched at their neck. They didn't quite intend to call him but the will to be the best in class for the sake of ego was stronger than to act reserved.

"Can you tutor me?"

"You're Ayaka's classmate aren't you? I've heard about you, she says you're one of those in the 'smart group', why would you need my tutoring?"

"Because apparently I'm not smart enough. Please. I don't have my own money to pay but I can bake cookies for you or make you tea—"

"Hahaha!" Ayato starts laughing and (Y/n) stares at him in confusion.

"I'm being serious here!"

"My bad. I mean yeah, I wouldn't mind tutoring someone who is so serious about this."

The pout on their face is replaced by a wide smile. "Really? You're cool with it?"

"Yes. When would you like to start?"

"As soon as possible! It's Saturday tomorrow so maybe then, if you're not busy?"

"That works. May I have your contact information, any social media? I'll send you my address later."

Ayato pulls out his phone, opening a pre-installed notes app and hands it to (Y/n). They type in their instacat user and return the phone.

"Alright, see you tomorrow then."  Ayato waves goodbye and leaves.

"Bye" (y/n) mutters. Too softly to actually be heard, but excitement had taken the best of them. And their motor skills.