[36] Heads Or Tails

"Miss Yelan. Although we are not entirely sure, we believe that the severed body found in the train station may be the male you are looking for."

"What do you mean severed body?"

Security footage played. A body tied together, left on the tracks. Not on schedule, no conductor. Yelan turned to look away, she knew what was next and refused to look.

"The remains were taken to the lab for an autopsy."

"Are there any solid evidences on the person who committed the crime?"

"None ma'am. In two weeks we should have the results in on whether that's the person you are looking for. But considering the footage we strongly believe that's him."

"And so do I, as much as I wish it was not. I'll see you when the results are back." Yelan leaves. It was far worse than she had assumed. Ayato could've held him hostage, at worst she imagined him possibly losing a few fingers in torture. But to have him killed so gruesomely. Kamisato played a dirty game.

"I have to assume Ayato is already steps ahead of me. (Y/n) is out of the picture in terms of helping with this, he's probably already done something to make them believe that it was all Thoma's plan and doing." She mused.

Before planning her next move, Yelan decided to go and get dinner. It was late into the night, the moon setting a nice ambience if she didn't have to think about dealing with a murder case.

"Ah, the hireling." After a short time of walking, she stops in her tracks. Momoyo stood before her, in a dark outfit she was blending in with the surrounding.

"Unless you're doing this out of pure interest, you're wasting your time. You'll never be able to catch Ayato guilty of a crime. Especially one he didn't do with his own hands."

"Let's play heads or tails. Heads means Ayato will be caught one day. Tails, and I'll give up."

"Keep your word for that."

Yelan takes out a coin and steps forward then flipping it, letting the coin fall to the ground. "I'll let you do the honors." She motions for Momoyo to check.

The younger girl bends down, struggling to see because of how dark it was. She takes out her phone and uses the flashlight to see it. The gamble gave Yelan a chill. It was very rash of her to make those options because it'd be hard to turn a blind eye on what happened. But she was optimistic.

"Heads." Momoyo picks up the coin and hands it back to Yelan. The latter took a breath of relief.

"Good for you." She comments as Yelan takes back the coin. "Have a nice evening, miss Yelan."

"You too, hireling."

The two part ways. The little occurrence had her more determined than ever, but also more hungry. It's been almost nine hours since her last meal, usually bearable but she's been busy.

"Yelan! Good evening."

It was another chance meeting. But it made sense to her, no wonder Momoyo was nearby. She was paranoid that Ayato may have had the hireling watch after her but it was just because he was just nearby.

"Good evening (Y/n), Ayato."

"What are you doing out here at this hour?" (Y/n) asks.

"I was going out to eat. And you two?"

"Heading home, we just ate. I'll see you tomorrow Yelan!" They wave and the two leave.

Walking home, to (Y/n) their lover looked deep in thought.

"Is something wrong Ayato? If you're worried about my mom you don't need to be, it's not like she's going to throw you into a meat grinder for ghosting me."

"Oh it's not that. It's just I ran into Thoma the other week too. He's been acting quite unhinged and it's been worrying me."

"He's been acting like that the past months."

"I just really feel something off with him. Be careful ok?"

"Ok? But I'm with you right now." They stretch their arm out and place it on his waist. "Let's stop stressing ourselves out with that piece of shit."

---

Hiss!

Stocking slapped Ayato's hand with her paw, he sighs. "Cats just hate me. Anyways, Stocking has gotten so much bigger since I last seen her."

"Well duh, you haven't seen her in months. She's also got a bit of an attitude."

"Ayato, it's been a while." (Y/n)'s mom came to the living area, a warm smile on her face with a hint of I kinda want to hit you with my slipper. "How've you been?"

"Hello dear soon to be mother, I've been doing much better recently. I must apologize for how I've treated your child. I'm doing my best to make up for it."

"That's fine. Everyone makes mistakes and you were having a hard time. As long as you aren't the fool that makes the same mistakes multiple times, I won't turn you into bear fodder."

Scary. Ayato chuckles awkwardly.

"I'll be going home now, since it's getting late."

"You should be. Take care!" Their mom watches him leave, the smile slowly fading from her face. "He's lost a lot of his poise."

"You think so? He seems almost the same as he used to be to me."

"Whatever." She turns away from (Y/n) and picks up Stocking before leaving to her room to cuddle with their cat.

(Y/n) sits down on the sofa, reflecting today's events. It felt like so much happened it was hard to get their thoughts straight. Kokomi and Childe acting weird, Ayato too, Yelan claiming Albedo disappeared.

They open their phone and go to Albedo's contacts to send a message.

Albedo

Hey? Are you there? I hope you're doing ok. Maybe stop by my department's building tomorrow? Kokomi and the others have been acting odd. : (Y/n)