[29] Deer In The Headlights

The car comes to a stop at a house in the middle of nowhere. Hidden in a forest, although there were roads to get there. Kokomi stretches her back before waking up the three in a deep sleep.

"It's been a while since we've last came here." Gorou tells her. He pictures the memory of them as young children running around this place.

"Where are we?" Venti asks upon waking up.

"My family's vacation house! Tada!"

It was difficult for them to appreciate the house that late in the night, there's no light to give the house a good spectacle.

"Ok but where exactly are we?" (Y/n) asks next.

"I said my vacation house!" Kokomi gets out of the car and runs to the gate, unlocking it. Gorou drives past the gate and into the main premise, then parking. The former excitedly runs to open the door of the house ahead of them, greeted by the dusty living room. No one has been there for a long while.

Meanwhile in the car, (y/n) checks their phone for the time, noticing a message that had a video attachment sent from an unknown number.

"What's that?" Venti leans in to look. Albedo too was looking at their phone discreetly.

"I'm about to find out." They reluctantly open the video attachment only to see a clip with the length of thirty seconds, Thoma with his hands cuffed together, Ayato whipping his back. (Y/n) immediately exits the video, looking at Venti with a horrified expression.

"That appears to be BDSM." Albedo comments.

"You didn't have to point it out." They rub their forehead. "I'm not even going to bother trying to find out whose number is this. Let's just pretend we didn't see that."

"Doesn't that make you wonder though? Like, 'so Ayato is into that kind of stuff!' "

"Venti." They glare at him.

"Are you all going to get out of the car or what?" Kokomi returns.

"We're coming, your highness." Gorou winks. He waits for the three to get out of the vehicle with their things before he shuts off the engine and joins them.

"A vacation house in the middle of nowhere. Interesting." (Y/n) looks around. Irked by the sensation of twigs crushing beneath their feet.

"Pretty cool right? It's great for a change of pace. A while back my parents left me the keys and said I could visit whenever I want. Although it seems no one has been here for I'm not sure how long so we'll have to do a bit of cleaning. Sweeping the living room should be fine for now since we'll all sleep here, I brought sleeping bags!"

"Well aren't you prepared." A beep comes from (y/n)'s phone. A message from the unknown number.

"Deer in the headlights"

"He's watching you, always."

They swallow a lump in their throat. The messages made them feel unsettled.

Albedo, still sticking his nose into their business also sees the messages. "Does it scare you?"

"Oh? It just makes me a bit uncomfy but it could just be Thoma messing with me on a different number. The nerve he has."

"I'll protect you if anything happens."

"Eherm. We'll all protect (y/n) if anything happens!" Kokomi forces a cough. "Now let's get started here. Gorou, go get the sleeping bags from the car please! Venti, go inspect the house for any cockroaches, spiders and the like. I, (y/n), and Albedo will do the sweeping."

"Why do I get the scary job!"

"I'll give you wine-"

"Deal!" Venti runs off to begin his rounds. No bug that entered this house shall leave alive.

---

"Anddd we're all set! Let's have a storytime before we all sleep." Kokomi grins menacingly. "Scary stories."

"Are you sure about that? Last time you cried when Venti and I were talking about creepypastas and reading an eyeless jack fanfiction."

"Shush (y/n)! That's different."

"How about instead of scary stories we play something like never have I ever?" Venti suggests.

They all nod in agreement.

"So who's going to ask first?"

(Y/n)'s phone beeps again, they take a quick glance. Another message from the unknown number.

"Never have I ever killed someone." They slowly read the words from the text, their hand that held the phone noticably shaking.

"Never! I think." Venti answers.

Albedo, Gorou, and Kokomi look around the room. The heir to this vacation house cracks her knuckles. "Whoever you are, you better come out so I can answer I have! Even better if you're Thoma because we still have a score to settle."

"My answer, is never. Rest assured I'm not Thoma." 

"You know you can get sent to jail for trespassing and stalking right?! Come out!"

"I'm only obeying master Ayato's orders."

"Master Ayato?" (Y/n) grips their phone tightly.

"Next question! Next question!" Venti chants.

"I think we should put a hold on the game." Albedo continued glancing around the room. Eventually a silhouette of a person appeared. And a voice spoke.

"You may call me Momoyo. I'll be on my way for now. Enjoy the rest of your vacation."

"I don't know if I'm scared or confused." (Y/n) breathed out.

"If Ayato really has something to do with this why can't he just approach you normally." Kokomi shook her head. They watched as the silhouette disappeared, not wanting to pursue the intruder. They were all tired and unwilling to ruin the vacation plans.

"But should I ever see that Momoyo person again I'm still giving them a taste of my fist!"

"It'll taste like fish for sure."

"Rude dog."