[10] Desserts are sweet unlike fighting exes

Ayato returns to their table and Thoma occupies a seat alone not too far away. (Y/n) stares at their tutor with a ghostly look, it appears the exes haven't noticed each other and they wished that they didn't witness Thoma's grande unknowing entrance.

"Is something wrong (y/n)?"

"No... Nothing, I just remembered something."

"Was it a bad memory?"

"It felt like a soap opera." They rest their chin on their palms, silence until the waiter arrives with the frappe & creampuffs, and tea.

"I don't believe we ordered tea. Is this complementary?" Ayato asks as the waiter was placing it down.

"Oh. No, sorry my bad this was for a different customer." They follow the waiter with their eyes until the tea was served to the customer who ordered it, Thoma.

(Y/n) almost blurted a well shit but kept it in their thoughts

Thoma's gaze met with Ayato's for a brief moment but they acted afterwards as if not seeing each other.

"May I have one of the creampuffs?" Ayato asks.

"As much as you'd like." (Y/n) took a long sip of their frappe pausing when the icy drink gave their mouth a painful chill.

"I feel like you've been growing distant from me, so I decided to take you out somewhere."

"Is that what it seems like?" He wasn't wrong, and (y/n) knew it themself. It wasn't the same as when he first started tutoring them. "I'm just trying to take the tutoring more seriously now." They continue.

"Taking something seriously doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself from the fun of things. It would only wear you out mentally in the long run."

"I guess so."

"You didn't have to ignore me like that." Another voice from neither of them calls. Hot tea placed onto the table and the filling of the creampuff squirted onto (Y/n)'s face after they took a strong bite into it coming from the shock of Thoma appearing.

"Thoma." Ayato looks even irritated to see him. "You could've stayed where you were and we wouldn't have to create a problem."

"(Y/n)! Nice to finally meet you." He disregards his irked ex and greets them. "You're the special little (y/n) both Ayato and Ayaka talk about hmm?"

Thoma takes out a pack of wipes he had in his pocket, and after pulling one out he wipes the creampuff filling off their cheeks. (Y/n) was simply displeased but Ayato looked borderline enraged.

"What are you trying to do?

"I was just being nice." He sighs.

"You know you can be nice too by leaving us alone." Ayato smiles amicably. "Mind doing so?"

The waiter didn't intend to overhear the conversation, but having so they anxiously walked to the table to serve the granola parfait, strawberry shortcake, and Ayato's boba tea before leaving in a rush.

(Y/n) took a small spoon that was given and began eating the granola parfait with invisible tears. The self pity of having to be stuck in between the fight of two exes. And not long ago, the fight between two siblings.

Who is Ayato going to have an argument with next? A ghost? He'd always be smiling too. Would he still smile if someone came to randomly punch him? So passive aggressive...

"Ok, I'll let you two enjoy your date. But pick up my calls later Ayato." Thoma picks up his tea an returns to where he sat alone.

Seeing what happened between those two made (Y/n) curious to know what was really happening, but not curious enough to ask.

"You can have the strawberry shortcake... I think I'm good with the parfait." They push the plate closer to him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Sorry about Thoma once again. Do mind if I talk to you about it?"

"Yes I do mind."

Ayato's calm expression sort of cracks as if he expected (y/n) to let him talk about it.

"Just kidding, go ahead."

"After Thoma and I broke up I did intend to completely cut things off with him because I didn't want to keep hurting Ayaka. And Thoma was getting too possessive. Everything was ok until I got a random message from him and he came to my place unannounced, argued with me then forced a kiss on me then admittedly, I got carried away. I couldn't bring myself to say that to Ayaka and lied foolishly.

I blocked Thoma's number after that, haven't spoken to him since. It's just an unfortunate coincidence we meet him here today and it's stressful really."

"Oh." It felt like a pressure was lifted off (Y/n)'s chest after knowing the truth to what happened that day, assuming Ayato wasn't lying.

"If there's anything I can do to make it up to you ruining your time here just let me know."

"You don't need to do anything, it's fine. Not everything plays out as well as we hope. "

---

Am I foreshadowing? Maybe.