[8] How A Smartass (can't) beat another Smartass

They didn't think that it could become so uneventful after that quarrel between the Kamisato siblings. It seemed like Ayaka spent the rest of the month trying to recollect herself. (Y/n) had normal tutoring sessions with Ayato since then. What they had witnessed that one afternoon was never spoken of again.

Things weren't all that bad though. They found friendship with Albedo and (Y/n) had started learning a bit about art thanks to him.

But for now, it was time for (Y/n) to find out if the tutoring has been any helpful to them so far.

The results for the final exam of the first quarter have been released. The smartass aiming for the top was gritting their teeth upon seeing their name listed as number two. They wracked up a cold sweat and uncontrollable nerves waiting for the results to be posted just to be met with disappointment.

Was Ayato's tutoring not enough? Had they been lacking focus?

Kokomi was standing by their side, slightly shivering thanks to their broodingly fearful glare at the list. It oozed with envy and it only worsened listening to the sounds of the other students congratulate Jean Gunnhildr who had just arrived and came up to (Y/n)'s other side.

"Congrats Jean"

"You're so amazing!"

"Jean teach me your ways!"

It was all Jean and no "congratulations (y/n)" who was right there.

Fine, there's still next quarter. They thought, and left with Kokomi who was shivering like she was slapped onto an iceberg.

There was no comforting (y/n), just silently watching them go through all the stages of grief over not having the highest grade.

That was just the beginning of the day.

Once class was actually starting, albeit later than usual since the exam results were announced, Madam Lisa enters with a grin on her face and an Itto in tow. Not really, he was just dragging his collar into the classroom.

"Congratulations everyone! You all did great in your exams, regardless of your scores. Except you. Your test papers have got me called to the guidance office because ' Lisa one of your students has not answered his tests seriously and drawn beetles all over his paper, why are you tolerating this?' do I appear to be tolerating this!" She mocked the voice of the guidance office's head.

"Anyways since the rest of you did great I'm allowing you to use my class this morning for vacant period!" Lisa quickly returns to a cheerful demeanor and leaves the classroom.

"Why was I the only one who got a scolding? Wasn't he the one who went eenie meenie miney mo on his test papers then slept afterwards?" Itto points at Childe, who has his legs up, resting on his table, arms up relaxed behind his neck, a lollipop in his mouth. Childe pulls the lollipop out of his mouth.

"I can just pay the school to get me to pass." He responds.

"Do you really think the school is that corrupt?" Another classmate speaks.

"Want me to go find out for us then?"

"Please don't, Childe." Ayaka sighs.

For the free period the students went on to scrolling on their phones, some going to the cafeteria or leaving the classroom.

(Y/n) was one of those who would leave the classroom every vacant period to get a change of pace. In their absence of mind they find themselves standing in front of where the results were posted, looking through names of other sections from different years in the same course.

"Of course he's at number 1." They mumble upon finding Ayato's name.

"Still didn't surpass Gunnhildr?" Ayato walks up to them. (Y/n) just looks at him and looks away.

"Seems so." He continues. "Sorry I couldn't do enough for you."

"It's fine. You're tutoring me practically for free."

Ayato smiles warmly. It always seemed to (y/n) like he was hiding things behind that smile, so they rolled their eyes in return.

No, not sorrow behind the smile. But intent and motives. They wouldn't quite say it was targeted to them specifically, it could be to anyone.

Ever since the very random and suddenness of finding him making out with his ex, (y/n) could never figure out what possibly goes through his head. Maybe it was just something they couldn't understand since they've never been in a somewhat proper relationship before.

"Are you still fine with tutoring me?" (Y/n) asks.

"Of course. We can carry on with the usual schedules."

"Right."

"By the way, you've been spending more time with Albedo recently."

"I guess so. What about it."

Ayato loosens his collar, undoing a button of his polo for who knows what reason. (Y/n) didn't find it hot at all.

"You should keep your distance from him. Perhaps you aren't able to put in your best efforts for the test as he may be a distraction to you."

"It doesn't really seem that way... But maybe."

"Is Albedo becoming a distraction to me? I have been getting into art but only a little bit. I'll try taking Ayato's advice and lessen the time I spend with him.

But I like Albedo's company. He's a great friend!" They struggle with the internal argument they have with themself.