[17] Let Her Be

The next quarter passes, and this makes the end of the first semester. (Y/n) was frustrated to make no progress in their mission to surpass Jean Gunnhildr whose relationship with their homeroom teacher grew more suspicious. They wondered if it had something to do with that, or how every tutoring session instead of taking the lessons seriously the two would start flirting.

But being ranked the second to the top didn't bother them as much as it used to.

"(Y/n)! I have great news!" Kokomi rushes to (y/n) after class. The latter was outside watching Albedo paint due to boredom, and Ayato had some other matters to attend to. "And hey Albedo!"

By the end of the semester Kokomi started getting along with other students, Scaramouche specifically. After some information from Ayaka she found out that her love rival, Baal, had a little puppet. That puppet being Scaramouche, so she'd use him to leech information about the student council president.

She was quite successful in operation "learn about my love rival in order to defeat her"

"What is it Kokomi?" (Y/n) asks her friend.

"I got it! I scored a date with Sara!" Kokomi squeals. "Although I'm not sure she is considering it a date. I asked her if she wanted to go and grab some drinks after she finishes the stuff she needs to do."

"Yo that's great! Congrats Kokomi! How exactly did Sara respond to that though?"

"What is this all of a sudden? You aren't trying to mess with me are you? Hmm. I'm not too busy today, I can make time." She imitates Sara's impassive demeanor.

"Very much like her. She's a lot like Baal. As the saying goes, two birds of the same feather flock together. I think."

"Birds, that's a great idea." Albedo blurts. He couldn't figure out what to add to the piece he was currently working on and apparently the answer to that lays in the conversation of two bestfriends and the tea.

"I'm going to go check on Sara now. See you later (y/n)!" Kokomi leaves, and just then (y/n) gets a message from a certain individual they've been meaning to speak with since this morning when they checked the rankings.

Ayaka has been skipping out so much she's fallen to nearly the bottom of the class. (Y/n) foresaw this happening and sometime ago had to talk about this with Ayato, and how Ayaka and Thoma started dating before them.

Upon checking their phone, the message only read "." Perhaps an accidental click and send, so they waited a while to see if the Kamisato had anything else to say. But there was nothing following that.

"Really now miss always-absent? I'm going to go see Ayato, I'll see you tomorrow Albedo!"

"Yeah." Albedo pauses from painting to watch them leave. There was always somewhat of a solemn look on his face when they'd go, as if he liked their presence more than he should.

---

"Hello?" (Y/n) peeps into their boyfriend's classroom, and no one was there but Ayato who appeared to be asleep.

They slowly walk up to him like a cat delicately sneaking up to its prey.

"Psst."

"(Y/n)?" Ayato slowly lifts his body up, brushing his hair away from his face then stretching his arms. "It looks like I've fallen asleep as soon as class ended. Were you waiting for me long?"

"Yes I've been waiting for you for past an hour, in fact I thought you had something else to do but here you are, having a nice nap. Did you dream of me?" They joke.

Ayato picked up on their little implication and smiled. "Sorry to have made you wait sweetheart, I just couldn't get enough of the sight of your bare skin in my dreams." His finger traced their hand that rested on his desk in a circle motion.

(Y/n) cleared their throat. "I came by to ask you about Ayaka. She's almost failing her classes now and she sent me a random dot text message."

He lets out a huff of disappointment after his advances were rejected.

"There's nothing we can do about it, if she wants to abandon her education to mess around with her narcissist boyfriend then all we can do is watch over her from a far."

"That's it? You're just going to let her be? And with Thoma? I guess you and Ayaka know him in better lighting but from my perspective there's kind of... Something off with him you know? I don't think he's that great of a boyfriend to tolerate Ayaka skipping her classes for him."

Ayato looks away from them.

"I don't know."

"Do you still have any feelings towards Thoma?"

"No, I don't. I thought I already made that clear?"

"But you always dodge anything related to him? Does he make you uncomfortable or something? You should tell me, it kind of... Bothers me. And hurts me." They distance themself a bit.

(Y/n) still couldn't figure out whether they just genuinely disliked Thoma, if it was jealousy or was it how Thoma always seemed to look at them with contempt.

"Just what shall I do with you." He gets up from his seat. They looked so needy in his eyes, and he wanted to take very good care of his needy lover. "You don't need to worry about Thoma alright? And I'll talk to Ayaka properly later on." He pats their head.

"Finee."

The door swings open in the middle of their moment, Itto stares at the two for a long few seconds. "Albedo told me there was a super rare beetle here I'll just... Take a look around. Pretend I'm not here!" He proceeds to enter the classroom, searching for the rumored rare beetle.

"That Albedo." Ayato takes in a deep breath.