[1] Strange Form Of Payment

2 PM, a somber Saturday, and (y/n) stands before a large house, the Kamisato residence, ringing the doorbell.

Right foot anxiously tapping the ground.

They aren't often at a friend's place beside Kokomi's and a couple other long time besties, or acquaintances.

"Yes?" Ayaka opens the door, subtly hiding herself behind it until realizing the visitor is someone she knows. "Oh! (Y/n), you're here for the tutoring! You know I was quite surprised when I heard from my brother you'd be coming over for that of all things. I didn't think you'd need it! But smart people still have to work hard I guess."

"That's the most I've ever heard he speak since I've first met her."

(Y/n) blinks, still having to process the amount of words that entered their somber Saturday brain that moment. "Are you going somewhere?" They ask instead, noticing Ayaka's attire.

"Yeah I'm going out to see..." She pauses and takes a quick glance behind her. "Thoma."

"What's with the whispering?"

"Thoma is uhm... Ayato's ex, they broke up two months ago and he's still a friend of mine so I just avoid mentioning his name when my brother is around. Anyway you should come inside!" Ayaka opens the door fully to let (Y/n) enter and they slip off their shoes.

"House slippers are over there. I'm off now! Bye bye (Y/n)! I hope the tutoring goes well! And uh, goodluck."

"Goodluck?"

(Y/n) disregards the goodluck, maybe it was just for the absorption of the knowledge. Maybe Ayato was a strict teacher? They will find out anyway.

Walking further inside, to the living room, they get a whiff of something odd. Nothing burning, nothing rancid, but genuinely strange. They couldn't figure out what it was.

"Good afternoon (Y/n)!" Ayato comes out of one room, their kitchen, holding a tray of weirdly shaped cookies. Smelling odd and appearing like they came out of martian butthole.

"I know that look. These won't kill you, I swear."

"What is the point of this?"

"Your payment for the tutoring! I want you to taste the stuff I cook, and bake."

"I could you know... Be the one to bake something for you. That wouldn't potentially kill us."

"This isn't going to kill you." He frowns and puts the tray down. "Just try one."

"If it does then I'll have you know I'd like to be cremated." (Y/n) reluctantly takes one of the cookies and bites into it, overall crunchy with some chewy parts.

"Why is it spicy!?" They put the rest of the cookie back onto the tray and swallow what was in there mouth like a pill.

"So you tasted the spice?"

"It's not even a good kind of spice... I don't have to eat the rest of this right?"

"No." He chuckles. "We'll be doing this every now and then though. Not the same cookies."

(Y/n) groans. "Fine. It's for the tutoring. I'm doing this for the tutoring." It's not as bad as being told to pay with my body though.

Heck, no one in reality actually says that. Someone bonk me right now.

"Just let me put the cookies away and we can start the tutoring. You can go sit over on one of the sofas while waiting."

They trudge towards the sofa like the cookies drained their life and soul away. Ayato returns with a decent plate of cookies. Cookies that smell like cookies and look like cookies. The cookies of glorious normalcy.

"Did Ayaka make these?"

"I made them."

"So you can make decent cookies. Why didn't you just do that in the first place?"

"Just experimenting. Anyway for the tutoring today we'll focus on identifying your weak points. I can't just throw everything at you."

"My weak points... My mind often wanders? I tend to miss some parts in class every now and then. I usually make up for it while I'm reviewing."

"And what do you often think about when your mind wanders?"

"I, err."

"You...?"

(Y/n) takes a cookie, shoving it into their mouth. "Too many things."

"Like?"

"What does this have to do with the tutoring."

"When I have a difficult time with focusing and my mind wanders It helps when I figure out why I'm getting too bothered by these things."

"Wise words from Ayato. My personal development lessons in the past have failed me."

The tutoring lasted almost two hours, one hour being the two just talking about their lives instead of actually studying something.

(Y/n) was happy anyways. As if they found joy in making a friend larger than the joy of possibly being the best in class.

But when they'd daydream, was being the top student really what the wanted? Or was it the attention they'd get if they were one.