[30] Another Year

Twas my bday last June 10 weeeee
---

(Y/n) didn't see the Momoyo individual for the rest of their vacation, up until their second year of college began. The familiar voice greets them from the halls, and the mystery creep introduces herself now as a first year student in the same department.

"Since we are schoolmates now, we should get along." She extends her hand, Kokomi slaps it away.

"You were stalking us! How can we simply befriend you."

"Kokomi relax—"

"How can I relax! What if this creature is trying to kidnap you, or anyone of us?!"

"I can be (y/n)'s bodyguard, free of charge." Albedo creeps up. Ever since their summer break ended, he only found himself with deeper feelings for (y/n), guilty to admit he was relieved to know that (y/n) has had no contact with their lover. At one point, they opened up to him about how they wondered if the two were still a couple.

"Morning Albedo. Aren't you supposed to be at your building right now?" They greet him.

"I just wanted to stop by to see you."

"Stop acting like a doting grandparent. Shoo, to your class."

"Haha, grandparentzoned." Kokomi laughs at him.

"I'll stop by again during break." He turns his back to leave.

"Please don't, I'm not even sure what our schedule this semester is."

Albedo feels like his mood is lifted as he walks away, returning to his building and entering his classroom.

"Boss Ayato came to school. You might be able to find him in his classroom. Now I shall go and meet my classmates." Momoyo leaves.

"Ah right, I almost forgot about your ghost boyfriend. (Y/n), are you going to go look for him?" Kokomi watches the underling leave, awaiting a response from her friend. "(Y/n)?" She turns her head and realizes (y/n) has already gone off on their own.

(Y/n) dashes through the hall with an elevated heart rate. The thought of seeing him again after not even being able to text him for months made them feel more nervous than excited. Once at the fourth year rooms, they open the doors taking a glimpse inside not caring about other students that turned their heads and wondered what the panting junior is looking for. Ayato wasn't inside any of the classrooms.

"Oh hey (y/n), are you looking for someone?" It smelled of rich.

"Childe..." They groaned, almost instantly trying to get away from the cocky guy whose personality trait is literally just being rich and manipulative.

"Don't sound so grumpy to see me, comrade in academics. Have you seen the list yet? We're in the same class again. Oh! And the edgelord uhmm what's his name again? Xiao?"

"Yeah. We're classmates again. Fun." They role their eyes. "I'm looking for Ayato, have you seen him around?"

"I just passed by him a little while ago."

(Y/n) was about to run off the way they saw their classmate approach them after obtaining that info, but Ayato was already there. He paused, standing in front of his lover; for a moment his eyes widened, guilt sent a shiver throughout his body and he proceeds to walk into the classroom without saying a word to (y/n).

"Ayato? Ayato..." They frown, not bothering to follow him since it was obvious to them that they've been ignored.

"That was an ass move. Did you two break up or something?" Childe comments.

"I—"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" He looks almost annoyed. "It's none of my concern anyways. Come on, let's head to our classroom."

They nod their head solemnly. The two walk together to the classroom, Kokomi caught up to them eventually. After finding out how (y/n)'s encounter with Ayato went, she already begun listing ways to curse him.

Looking in the room, (y/n) looks at the familiar faces, still smiling or staring at the wall, or daydreaming of beetles. They were disappointed they once again have to share a section with that dude. At least he made things interesting.

Then there's a new face. (Y/n) looked at the lady sitting in the center of the second to the last row with black hair that faded into a blue, she gave a very neutral, nearly intimidating expression.

"I believe that's Yelan." Kokomi whispers to her friend. "Transferee, but I heard she's super smart! And I heard a rumor from the student council that her reason for being here is work related."

"Oh." They choose to sit on the furthest right chair of the front row, placing their bag down before resting their face on the table. Wondering if they wanted to cry or suck it up and focus because they still want to be the top student. Or maybe not? (Y/n) felt their emotions are too much of a mess to even care about anything.

Why did Ayato ignore them? They just couldn't figure it out. Regardless of his reason, it wasn't fair to be leaving them in the dark.

"Good morning class, I will be your advisor for this school year." A man walks in, red hair tied back into a low ponytail. "Please refer to me as professor Diluc." He looked around the class, and the students all noticed him visibly scowl when he saw Itto. The beetle enthusiast is a celebrity among faculty members throughout the entire school by now.

So enamoured by the insects he's still oblivious to Kujou Sara's feelings. A win for Kokomi, who hasn't made much progress since their "date."

Xiao stands up abruptly and leaves the classroom.

"He just does that." One student explains.

The burdened professor already looked like a piece of his sanity has been chipped off. "Well then, let's make haste and begin with our lesson for today."

"Professor Diluc?! It's the first day! What about introductions? Do you not care about knowing your students' names?" Childe put down his foot that was resting on the table shamelessly.

"Not if they care little enough to keep their foot on a table when their instructor is present."

"Sheeeesh. Sorry prof."

The class did not get to introduce themselves that day, and Diluc continued with his lecture on bookkeeping that morning.

For the first time, (y/n) didn't take notes. Not a single word. They just stared absent mindedly at the whiteboard.