[26] Itto Plague

Hi pls forgive my slow updates I am v much a slow writer but also it's my shs graduation soon + I'm coping w getting friendzoned naur & I've been traveling back and forth between cities and houses bcus I live in a diff city from my school (our grad is face to face) and my mom is trying to get my dad jailed by having him caught by the police with his three mistresses. If u ppl wanna know how that goes just lmk since it's hilarious how my dad just has three mistresses and doesn't hide it. They left a box of their things in our storage room so my mom put a dead lizard in it

I just thought it would be funny to share because my life rn is an afternoon soap opera and this is how I cope lol 

Anyway onto the chapter!

----

"Thanks for inviting me out Albedo. I really needed a break from spending almost all day staring at the walls of my room." (Y/n) arrives at a local park, holding some of the traditional art materials they acquired after getting into the hobby.

"It's been over a month and a half since we last saw each other, I thought it would be best to see you in person. Through text people would usually just say they're fine when asked how they're doing. I assume that's what you'd do too."

"You're not wrong. Even if I were to be honest it's not like I'd have much to say."

"We don't have to talk about it." Albedo smiles at his friend. It too, made him ache. It didn't seem like any of them recovered well, and he couldn't forget the grief stricken look on (y/n)'s face during the funeral. From Ayato, he felt blood lust. And it leaves him wondering whether Thoma is still alive.

"Care to paint the scenery with me?"

"If you don't mind painting with a newbie."

"You're not that much of a newbie anymore."

(Y/n) sets up their easel beside his, placing an empty canvas on it. The scenery before them is a tall tree, and by the stump comfortably sleeps a cat with it's stomach exposed. A seesaw a little further, and an empty house with a post that says house and lot for sale. It has been for sale for half a decade. The bushes around it have already become overgrown with the lack of anyone looking after the house.

"When I was little I remember an old lady lived there alone. She used to give me and other children cookies, and tell us how it was her husband's recipe. I think I'm going to paint her in this, although I probably won't do a good job since I don't have much experience with drawing or painting non stick figure people. Except for the time I was obsessed with Steven Universe and horribly drew the characters." They ramble.

"No wonder it seemed like you did have some experience when you started doing art with me. You'll do great. Even if it won't be completely accurate, the old lady would be overjoyed that you painted her while telling me about a fond memory you have of her."

"Shut it. I'm going to cry if you say it that way."

They both began their painting. While (y/n) intends to paint the scenery, with the old lady who used to live in the empty house, Albedo decided he will paint the scenery but with (y/n) in it. A painting of (y/n) painting in the park.

"So what have you been up to lately Albedo?" They ask.

"Art. I have also been researching beetles."

"... Beetles?"

"After meeting Itto from your building I have been quite intrigued by those insects. Specifically the stag beetles. There's a lot about them in folklore and mythology too."

(Y/n) quietly continues. The thought of seeing Albedo become beetle obsessed and acting like Itto is a horror film in the making. The itto plague. They almost subconsciously painted two brown blobs on the canvas to resemble beetles.

If their hands could create a masterpiece they'd be tempted to paint an army of nicrophorus beetles and name it the stank beetle apocalypse. But that would just give the beetle loving people ideas.

After stressing over the painting itself their thoughts drifted away from beetles and gloom reigned over them after Ayato crosses their thoughts.

"I haven't seen or spoke to Ayato since the funeral."

Albedo stops and puts his paintbrush down.

"What happened?"

"Losing his sister has been so tough on him he completely shunned me out. You probably noticed, he deactivated all of his socials. Everything. It seems he has family members with him at the Kamisato residence but they wouldn't let me in. I've been told by them he doesn't want to see me."

"Do you want a hug?"

(Y/n) waits for a few seconds until nodding their head. Albedo moves closer and tightly wraps his arms around them. Almost immediately they start silently sobbing into his shoulder. They missed the comfort of being held, or having any comfort at all. (Y/n) hasn't told their best friends about the situation with Ayato. They knew that he probably just needed the time to himself but it felt unbearable to not even hear from him.

Especially being told that he didn't want to see them.

"You can cry as much as you want." Albedo rubs their back with one hand.

"I've been keeping this all to myself... And it's hard. It hurts so badly, to know that he doesn't want me to be there in comforting him."

"You've gone through a lot. For now you have me here."

"You're a great friend Albedo." (Y/n) gently breaks free from the embrace and wipes the tears off their cheeks with their hands. "I feel a lot better now."

"I'm glad. You're a dear friend to me too, I'd be upset with myself if I were someone who you see as undeserving to confide in."

A great friend.

A dear friend.

A friend.