Chapter Seven

GRANDPARENTS

The switch between James and Anne was clear. People didn't seem to understand, not even the other Marauders, but it was clear enough.

James would always (always) say good morning to Anne and put a hand on her shoulder as he sat beside her on the breakfast table, he would always keep an eye on her during the classes they shared and wave at her when they went their separate ways for other classes. She would always fix his glasses when it was near from falling off his nose and would laugh when he would mess up his hair as if it was a personal joke (which she had explained to James that Harry had been terribly embarrassed when he saw James messing his hair, all while Harry was always trying to tame it through his life), and – gosh – the smiles they would share.

James and Anne were often side by side. James had stopped teasing and hexing Slytherins and Anne had started to feel more and more comfortable around the Gryffindor Common Room and the people that were often there.

Friday night, the Marauders decided it was time for an intervention.

They had tried to hold it off and give their friend some time to fix his mind and actually tell them without being pressured into it after they implicated several things and waited, but James never said anything. They were tired of waiting.

"How do we even start this?" Peter asked, worried.

Remus sighed and sat on the middle of his bed.

"I don't know, mate," Remus admitted. "I guess we can just be honest and tread..." he looked straight at Sirius, "carefully!"

Sirius rolled his eyes and leaned against the post of Peter's bed while Peter sat on the end of the bed.

"You speak as if I'd cock this up," said Sirius, quite offended.

"Because I think you will," Remus said.

"Right, nice, mate. Thanks," Sirius said.

"You're not very known for being careful with your words, Pads," said Peter, siding with Remus.

Sirius glared at Peter.

"Since when do you have your own bloody opinion?" he asked, angry.

Peter flinched and Remus raised his eyebrows.

"See? You just proved me right," said Remus. "And apologize to Wormtail!"

Pads took a deep breath and looked at Peter before noticing that the boy actually seemed upset by what he said. He hadn't meant to actually hurt him; he was just annoyed because he knew he was right.

"Sorry, Peter," he said.

"It's alright. I get it," Peter said.

"No. It's not alright, I'm truly sorry. You were right, I'm not very known for saying the right words. I always dig my grave deeper," Sirius admitted.

Remus got up from his bed.

"Look, Pads, I know that you're excited to talk to James about this and all, but let me start the conversations, alright?" he said. Sirius nodded and Peter nodded soon after. "James gets hurt easily."

"James is a cry-baby," Sirius complained.

Peter nodded once more. At least everyone agreed with that.

"Just make sure James understands that we're not angry at him," Peter said. "That's the first thing he's going to think. Make sure we're trying to understand what's going on and that we actually like Anne."