Chapter One Hundred and One -

HOPE IS THE LAST TO LEAVE, OR SO THEY SAY

The ring made Anne squeal to herself even a whole week after the day she had been proposed to.

Regulus had told her that he had been in doubts to which ring to get. The first he got was the one his mother had used, an Australian Opal ring being hugged with a small and detailed silver-made dragon, but he didn't want anything to do with his mother on 'his fiancée's finger', besides the meaning wasn't all that great to a relationship – releasing attachments and emotional amplification, which isn't great for a war. He also said that diamonds were a muggle thing when she asked why he had gone through several stones to get to a few selected ones and continued that diamonds were too simple, therefore, were not very common in rings, especially engagement ones.

But he said that once he saw the one, he knew it right away.

Alexandrite Stone in white gold made to look like very small leaves twisted to make a ring. It must have cost a fortune, she knew, but it was so beautiful and inviting that she couldn't help but almost cry as he chanted the meaning of the stone, thrusting into her again, eager to make sure she knew how wonderful they were going to be – empowerment, hope and joy; all that they needed in such a difficult moment, he added that the Muggles, too, believed it to be powerful for luck and intellect.

Regulus had wonderful taste, she had to admit.

She lied there, alone in her bedroom, reminiscing of all the sweet things they had done together in the privacy of her bedroom. All sweet nothings whispered, all love swears and all caressing touches.

Until somebody knocked on the door.

"Yes?" she called out, trying to act natural as she put her hand down.

She didn't take off the ring at all, just acted natural with it, hoping that if people noticed, they'd just assume it was a cool ring. If she didn't make a big deal out of it, then probably people wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

The door slowly opened and a grinning red-head poked her head through.

"Lily!" Anne said, surprised, as she sat down on the bed. She saw the blonde hair right behind it and, for a moment, she thought it was Marlene, but then she saw the pure ice-blue eyes looking at her. "Petunia!"

"Hi, baby!" Lily said. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," Anne answered. "Come on in! Come on in! I'm sorry for the mess. I wasn't expecting anyone."

Lily walked in, but had to look back and nod in reassurance to Petunia that it was alright to come into the room. Anne smiled, getting up from the bed, exhibiting the ugliest tone of pink in her shorts not making the greatest combination with her green shirt – Lily laughed at it, having to look away to keep some poise, but Petunia wasn't as discreet as her lips snarled at the sight.

"Now, that's a fashion statement," Petunia commented.

"Yeah, well, I was lying in bed and daydreaming and that was the plan for the day," Anne said. "I'm really close to look for a job, though. That's how bored I am."

"Do you want to work right now, Anne?" Lily said, raising her eyebrows, not explicitly saying anything about the war, but making Petunia look a bit confused. "I mean," started Lily, smoothly adding a lie. "You were the one that said that had no idea which direction you wanted to go."

"Yes, but I decided," Anne admitted. "I want to be a Healer, a doctor, if you must say in the Muggle way."

"I figured," Petunia dismissed. "Is that a... good profession?"