Chapter Fifty-Nine

A NEW CHAPTER

Anne's heart was completely hurting as she watched Regulus Black walk by her as if nothing was happening, though his hand did brush against hers for a moment before he smiled to Elizabeth Fawley as she talked to a girl, curling her hair on her finger.

This time around they couldn't have some time together. Regulus had to meet with his 'co-workers' and Anne couldn't follow him around, they couldn't even have an actual goodbye for Christmas Break, not even a little kiss! Not even a hug before he went to one of the most dangerous missions that probably were out there.

Now, all she could do was sit beside James, book open in her hands and slowly reading the romance book, Lily sitting across James and talking to him about Prefect duties. They had just given up on trying to talk to her and get her into the conversation as well, trying to be polite and kind to her, but she was much more interested in rereading Tamino – Persephone's first bathing being watched by Hades as he slowly falls in love by the melody the woman hums to herself; he wants to, but he doesn't turn to watch her without her approval, so all he does is wither away in forbidden desire.

She was trying hard to focus on it, though her heart and head were too worried about Regulus to let her enjoy her own scribblings on the corner of the pages, though she was sure they were funny or sweet. No, she couldn't enjoy things she usually enjoyed without feeling guilty. She was able to have a small normalcy in her life while the boy she liked was about to put his life in harm's way without any way out.

Of course, her parents noticed.

Even with Marlene and Dorcas coming by to sit with them for a moment before the other Marauders came and the girls left, James and Lily watched as Anne didn't eat and barely spoke, not even making polite small talk to Peter, who tried to get her attention.

"Are you alright?" Lily asked after a while.

James knew what was on his daughter's mind, but Lily had no idea of what was happening in that compartment.

"She's jut focused on her book," he said, quickly covering for her.

"She can answer herself, James."

"Just leave her alone," James said, once more cutting Lily off. "She's just going through some stuff. She didn't really tell me anything, but I can see it's very personal."

Lily did go quiet, though she clearly didn't enjoy that James was cutting her off from the conversation Anne clearly didn't want to have.

By the time they got to London, it was late afternoon and Anne was asleep with the open book on her lap. Sirius quickly took his bags and threw Anne's over to James, who quickly held onto it with great effort to drag both of theirs out. Lily made her way out, saying her goodbyes in whispers so not to wake up Anne. Peter got his bag and made his way out quickly, knowing that his mother – who had written to tell him that she was slightly sick – was waiting impatiently for him.

Remus was left behind with Anne.

"Annie?" he called out, slowly getting closer. He took the book from her, marking the page and closing it. He held it with his right hand before leaning and touching her shoulder, gently shaking her awake. "Wake up, Annie. We're in King's Cross."

"Hm," she did, unwilling to move.

"Wake up."

"I'm tired," she complained.

"You can keep sleeping in your bed, but you need to wake up and go find your grandparents, alright?" he said. "Come on, I'm sure your dad will be more than happy to keep you awake for a bit by telling you how happy he is that he was invited for the Evans' Christmas Party to meet Lily's parents and all that. Come on."