Chapter Nine

RUMOUR HAS IT

Lily Evans would never admit it out loud, but she was very invested in understanding the dynamic of the odd relationship happening between James Potter and Anne Sage. Like with a car accident, she knew it probably wasn't polite to stare, but she just couldn't look away as she watched James glancing every now and then to Anne as they both ate.

James was excited about something, talking to Sirius with big movements and loud words that she couldn't help but hear from so far away, and Sirius seemed to be excited too, listening to his friend with attention and nodding along with the story. Remus was laughing of something Peter had said, trying to bring the very quiet and tired Anne into the conversation, and the girl was trying to be friendly and all, but her skin was becoming pale and she was becoming more and more distant from the others.

"You know, if you keep staring, I'll start telling Potter that maybe he has a chance with you," teased Marlene, poking her in the ribs with her elbow.

Lily turned to her.

"Stop that," she scolded, clearing hurting from the poking.

"I'm serious, Lily. It's starting to become sad. If you don't like the two of them together, you might as well tell him that. I'm sure he would drop her for you," Marlene said. "She's proper nice too, I'm sure she wouldn't be upset to take a step back since you like him."

"I don't like him," she answered, shaking her head.

"Keep telling yourself that while all you do at dinner is watch the two of them," said Marlene. "Just talk to them, or at least to her. Anne is chill, joked around with her and flirted and she didn't even notice. I don't think she knows James is flirting with –"

"James is not flirting with her," Lily said, voice firm and tone final. "That's the odd thing. I was expecting him to flirt and to ask her out, but he didn't. He's keeping himself... friendly, but no more than that."

Marlene frowned, more confused than before.

"Then I don't understand. How is that worrying you?" she asked.

"Because I thought that one of the boys might have a crush on her then, since he kept his distance and all, but none of them came forward to talk to her. Remus is pretty friendly and Sirius is civil with her, but Peter is just plain nervous," said Lily. "Whatever is going on that kept them on 'friends' is something I didn't see or understand."

"And that worries you?"

"I never seen that happening before. I mean, the only female friend that James Potter has is you."

"Well, I'm not very interested in him, am I?" she joked, raising her eyebrows.

"No. That's what I meant. Do you think she's –"

"No."

"No?"

"Absolutely not. She's not interested in girls, I'm pretty sure," answered Marlene. "She's just not interested in James. That happens, you know? Girls are not interested in Potter and Black sometimes," she joked.

"Keep teasing," grumbled Lily, stabbing her stake and cutting another piece of it. "Keep teasing, you don't understand."

"I understand that you're apprehensive now that he's not paying as much attention to you as before."

"I'm not jealous!" Lily exclaimed in surprise.

"Never said you were. Just saying that is something you didn't have since you were in third or fourth year, you just don't know how to act now that James is not waving, smiling and noticing you every three minutes," said Marlene. "It's a great shift. Understandable confusion, too."