Isobel

Chapter 10

"So, what exactly are you doing?" Bonnie asked Tori who was busy mixing a couple of herbs in a pot. "I am making a potion to help block my magic," Tori told Bonnie who watched Tori add a purple flower into the potion. "Why are you doing this?" Bonnie asked Tori. "It's a precaution. After yesterday's attack, I need to block myself from another attack and this is the best way to break the link. The witch was able to attack me because she traced my magic. Now, when I block my powers the witch will not be able to trace the magic and by next week the remnants of my magic will disappear." Tori said. Bonnie looked at Tori as she mixed the potion, Tori looked like the stereotypical witch seen in movies, all she needed was a witch's robe and hat. "So, how did you learn this spell/ potion thing. I didn't see any recipe that tells about how to block your own magic," Bonnie said as she flipped through her grandmother's grimoire.

"Sheila had a grimoire that was written by one of your ancestors. Bennett witches and Swan witches have been allies for years. Sheila told me about this recipe in case something like this happened. Swan witches are hunted because of our power. Blocking my power is a safety mechanism so that nobody knows that a Swan witch exists." Tori said as she poured the finished potion into a glass.

"So, what makes Swan witches different from other witches?" Bonnie asked. "Honestly, I hardly know the difference but Sheila told me that, unlike other witches, Swan witches are not limited to nature. It is said that a Swan witch's power can control every element, their magic is pure and unlimited, at least that's what Sheila said, honestly though I am sure that is all bullshit because nowadays every time I practice any spell I feel drained. I wish I could find my biological mom to get answers but, I can't because I could attract unwanted attention." Tori said as she waited for the potion to cool down.

"So, as a Swan witch, you are in danger. Why don't you try to locate other witches like you?" Bonnie asked, "Because I am the only one left." Tori said making Bonnie's eyes widen. "Yeah, I know. There can only be one Swan witch per generation. According to Sheila, I am the only one left. As far as I know, the last Swan witch was alive in 1858. Either my great something grandmother only had sons and my great grandfathers and granduncles all had male children till I emerged or the Swan witches hid themselves really well." Tori told Bonnie.

"Do you ever wish to find your birth parents?" Bonnie asked Tori who was leaning on the kitchen counter "I used to, I mean I still sometimes do but I don't see the point. I have parents who love me an awesome and annoying sister. I don't want to waste my life searching for my birth parents who abandoned me. Maybe someday I will try to find them to seek answers but right now I don't want to I am scared that I will just be disappointed, you know," Tori sighed "Yeah, sometimes I think about my mom of why she abandoned me and my dad, it doesn't help that as a witch its easier to find her but, I am scared that I will be hurt with her answer. Sometimes I pretend that she left because she did it to protect me but..."Bonnie said with a sad expression. Tori squeezed Bonnie's palm comforting her.

"So, how long will you be human?" Bonnie asked changing the subject. "4 days I guess, usually it lasts about 36 hours but I put nightshade in it for it to last longer." Tori said as she checked on the potion. "Nightshade?" Bonnie questioned "Yeah, so you know how witch hazel dampens your powers well nightshade does the same thing witch hazel does. If I were to consume it would neutralize and weaken me, so I am hoping that when mixed with the potion it will help last longer." Tori said.

"Wait, is this the first time you are trying it?" Bonnie asked, "Well, the potion, no. with nightshade, yeah." Tori said, "What if something goes wrong?" Bonnie asked the teen. "I adjusted it to the potion and worst come to worst I am sick for a couple of days," Tori said slightly unsure.

"Okay, so, it's time," Tori said making Bonnie alert. Bonnie was worried about Tori, though Tori was well advanced when it came to being a witch she was still younger than Bonnie. Bonnie always saw Tori as a younger sister, she cared about her and was scared that something bad would happen. Tori looked at the dark blue almost navy drink. She remembered the last time she had to drink it, the pain. Was unbearable and with the added nightshade it definitely hurt more, but this was the only option that she had in order to protect her family and friends. If words spread of a Swan witch's existence, sheila said that everyone would be unsafe.