The night of the concert

Chapter 15

Tori and Caroline spent the rest of the evening eating Ben and Jerry's while watching cringy movies. It was pretty late in the night when the sisters fell asleep. Liz walked into the house and saw both her daughters asleep on the floor cuddled up with empty ice cream bowls and chocolate wrapper lying all around.

Liz felt guilty for not getting time to spend with her daughters. Ever since her divorce she felt a distance growing between her and her daughters especially Caroline. Sighing, Liz walked to her room hopping into the shower. She promised herself that she would work on spending more time with her daughters soon. Liz was about to get into bed when she heard a knock on the door.

Walking to the front door, carefully, not making a sound to not disturb her daughters she opened the front door to see Damon standing there.

"Damon?" Liz questioned, confused to see her friend show up at her front door in the middle of the night "what are you doing here?" Liz questioned.

Damon had not paid attention to check if Liz was at home. He had knocked on Tori's window to see she was not in her room. He wanted to check on her after hearing what happened with Mason. He had almost killed Stefan for not keeping Tori away from Mason.

"I came to drop off some books that Tori wanted," Damon said as he handed the book on the Swan witch. Damon had decided to tell Tori about him being her father, he wanted to tell her because he couldn't keep it a secret anymore and the longer he took to reveal the truth the more she would hate him.

"You could have given it to her in the morning Damon," Liz told Damon

"Uh, yeah, I just returned from North Carolina, thought I'd drop it off. You okay Liz?" Damon asked a upset looking Liz

"Yeah, just stress and work..." Liz told Damon , who could sense something was bothering her.

"Come on, let's talk," Damon told Liz pulling her out the house and making her sit on the porch stairs.

"What's wrong? Don't tell me it's 'work'," Damon told Liz, who stared at him before turning and staring at her foot.

"I feel guilty for not spending time with my kids. Ever since Bill and I separated I barely give time to my daughters. Caroline hates me for it and keeps reminding me of how crappy of a mom I am and Tori, she pretends that me not spending time with her doesn't affect her, but I know it does. Gosh! I don't anything about what's happening in their lives. When I thought I lost Caroline, the pain and regret of not letting her know I love her. Sometimes I just want to leave this town and start fresh with my daughters but I can't. I have a duty to my hometown, to the people of mystic falls and my kids, to protect them but in the process of keeping them safe I am losing my kids. Caroline and Tori are inside cuddled up with each other, I am glad at least they have each other, I am grateful that Bill insisted we adopt Tori because if this was what was going to happen then I can't imagine how lonely Caroline would have been," Liz ranted to Damon, who listened to his daughter's adoptive mother silently.

"Sometimes I wish I could go back in time when Caroline and Tori were babies, a time where I got to be with my kids, play with them, talk to them....God I am such a crappy mom," Liz trailed of.

"Liz, you are not a crappy mom, you managed to raise two beautiful girls, while protecting the town. I know that both Caroline and Tori love you even if they act bitchy and angry. Come on they are teenagers. Teenagers are annoying little shits," Damon told Liz who laughed.

"You want to know what a crappy parent is? My father, dude had major rage issues was a workaholic, used to hit me. Man barely spoke to me but when he was mad...phew. I am not filling you in about my life to seek sympathy," Damon told Liz who looked at Damon with a sympathetic expression. Damon wanted to tell Liz that he was a crappy parent who left his new born daughter and her mother alone to find a woman who never loved him.