Twisted Carnival

Chapter 13

Caroline gasped awake, she had a nightmare that Elena had visited her and killed her. She walked out of her room in a slight daze. Her mom was supposed to be with her but she was alone. Walking out of the room she noticed the hallways empty. Looking around she noticed one of the night nurses sitting at the desk.

"Excuse me? Where is everyone?" Caroline asked wincing with the headache

"It's the middle of the night honey," the nurse replied

"It is? Oh, uh...have you seen my mom?" Caroline asked the nurse, she was feeling uneasy and scared and wanted a familiar face with her.

"She left for some work after dinner and then your friend Elena stopped by," The nurse told Caroline who looked frightened "She did? Yeah, she did but she said her name was Katherine," Caroline said confused "Can I just get something to eat?" She asked suddenly feeling an overwhelming hunger.

"Breakfast comes around seven," the nurse stated as she directed Caroline back to her room

"But I'm hungry," Caroline asked a little aggressively

"You should go back to sleep," The nurse told the girl again a little more firmly. Caroline felt uneasy and hungry. As soon as she neared her room she paused when she smelt something incredible "What is that smell?" She asked sniffing the air.

"Back to bed," The nurse told Caroline firmly as she tucked her in her bed.

As the nurse left, Caroline jumped out of the bed and went back to the hallway looking everywhere for the food that smelt amazing, following the scent she saw a blood bag in a patient's room confused she walked in ensuring the patient was asleep she walked towards the bag and touching it but before she could take it the nurse saw Caroline "What are you doing in here?" The nurse asked the girl narrowing her eyes. "I don't know," Caroline said startled at what she was doing.

"You need to go back to bed," The nurse told Caroline firmly, she took Caroline to her room ensuing the girl was in bed before leaving.

Caroline sat down on her bed and took out the hidden blood bag from her pocket. Looking at the blood bag she started to drink the blood but realising what she had just done she felt disgusted and threw the bag on the floor, gagging. Caroline suddenly felt the hunger intensify and she grabbed the bag from the floor and continued drinking the blood.

*0*0*0*0*0*0*

Damon left Tori's house in the morning, he stayed with the girl to make sure that she didn't have nightmares ever since Founder's day, Tori had admitted she found it difficult to sleep because she was haunted with images of Anna dying and Caroline in the surgery room being revived by the doctors. When the sound of the front door opening signaling Liz's arrival in the morning Damon rushed out of the house through Tori's window. He hadn't slept a wink, he watched Tori sleep and watched the rest of the home videos on her laptop. He also went through the family photo albums, it had given him a chance to get a glimpse of his daughter's childhood.

Damon walked to the cemetery and sat in front of his friend's grave. "She's Alive, Victoria," Damon said smiling.

"I wish you could see her, she is beautiful, strong, smart, everything good. She's got your competitive streak," Damon said with a laugh. "Tori reminds me of when I was human, she cares deeply. I want to tell her the truth but I'm ashamed to admit that I did abandon her because of some twisted love that thought I had. When I watched the videos of her growing up, her first steps and all I thought 'what if I had stayed, I would have watched her grow up, you would still be alive. I am scared that she will be disappointed with me. I already hurt her. When I saw her in the basement, I didn't know it at first that she was our daughter, but the fear that gripped me was unreal. Then when I saw her birthmark the fear grew a tenth-fold," Damon confessed