New Home

As much as I want to drive to my new cabin, I have to go to work. And I already know Grandpa is not going to be happy that I'm late.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. It won't happen again, I swear." I say as I quickly run into the bait shop. "I'm not mad, but why were you late?" Grandpa asks from behind the counter.

"I got myself my very own house." I tell him proudly. Cowboy's tail wacks my leg as I tell Grandpa all about what happened at the Legion.

"Storm, you remember what those men said? You shouldn't be in that beast's territory. He's dangerous." Since when has Grandpa been a coward?

"And? I can take care of myself, I'm not five anymore." That was too harsh. "I'm just trying to look out for you sweetie." "I know. I'm sorry for being rude."

The days passes by rather uneventfully. The whole while I'm chomping at the bit to go to my new house.

As soon as closing time hits the clock, I'm telling Grandpa goodbye. "Be careful out there Storm." "I will."

Cowboy and I head out to my truck, I let him in and jump up beside him. For some reason I'm extremely excited to be moving into my new house.

I don't think I've felt this excited about anything since I shot my eight point buck back during my junior year of high school. That was what, seven years ago? Seven years is a long time to not be this excited.

I don't even understand why I'm so excited. I guess owning my own house, far away from my devil of a mother is something exciting.

"Cowboy, are you excited?" I ask him. He just wags his tail, too busy staring out the window to care about what I have to say.

As I drive towards the lake, I come to a T- junction. Turning left will take me to the dirt road that eventually leads to my secret fishing spot. Turing right will take me to my new
house.

Cowboy lets out a bark as I turn right. "What?" I tease him. He just barks again. Maybe he knows we're going to our new home.

I don't know how long I'm driving for but it seems to go by fast because there's the driveway leading to my house.

I pull into it and drive maybe twenty-five feet before I see it.

I park my truck and let Cowboy out

I park my truck and let Cowboy out. He jumps out and runs like lightning towards the house. I laugh as he pees on the steps. "Already marking your territory?" I laugh before I grab my bags.

As I walk up the steps I make sure to avoid the puddle of pee. I don't want to track it into the house.

I expect the house to be sparsely decorated, but instead the walls are lined with mounted fish, ducks, and bucks, along with some paintings of various outdoor scenes.

"What do you think Cowboy?" I ask him as he runs around sniffing the living room. He ignores me and continues sniffing. "I take that as you like it." I grin to him as I take a walk through the house.