Traitor

Storm's Pov.

I'm worried about whatever the hell crime Wilder's being framed for, but I know better than to make it known to Eva. I don't want her to worry.

"Stom, I want Wiwder." Eva demands, breaking me out of thought. Great, now I have to lie to a child.

"Wilder had to go help that man. He won't be back for a few days because there's a lot of work to be done." I lie.

"Oh, then can we see Mommy?"

"I can't drive, but I can call Callie and see if she can."

One Phone Call Later

"Alright Eva, Callie can drive us to the hospital. Make sure to say thank you when she gets here."

Not long after that, the rumble of an old shitbox tells me she's here. I grab my soon to be fully broken broom stick and walk with Eva to the shitbox.

"Thank you!" Eva beams as Callie drives us to the hospital. "You're welcome."

She drops us off without another word and that concerns me. What is going on with her?

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" Eva squeals while running down the hallway to her mother's room.

I don't even bother trying to keep up with her, I know she can't get to Alice without me opening the door.

"Stom! Hurry up!" She stomps her foot in frustration when she sees me walking so slow. "Oh calm down, I'm almost to the door." She huffs at my answer and crosses her arms.

Once I open the door she bolts in and starts talking loudly to Alice.

"Were you good for Storm?" 

"I was good. I got to pet a wowf."

"A wolf?" Alice shoots me a questioning glance.

I give her the "Eva's Imagining It" look and she smiles.

"Yes Mommy! He was so nice! Can I get a pet wowf?" She gives Alice the puppy eyes.

"Maybe, we'll have to see." Alice ruffles Eva's hair.

"Can I stay here today?"

"Sure, do you want to spend the night with me?"

"Wike a sleepover?"

"Yes!"

I take that as my cue to leave.

Time Skip Because this is Boring!

The cabin is so lonely now. No Cowboy, no Wilder, no Eva. I don't like the loneliness.

There is a way to make the loneliness go away for awhile so I crank up the radio.

"Love is like a butterfly, as soft and gentle as a sigh."

I love Dolly but this song is not making me feel any better. I turn the dial, eager to get away from that song.

"I'm going back to a better class of losers. Well, this uptown livings really got me down."

And now I'm getting really down. I turn the dial again.

"-perhead Road! Now Daddy ran whiskey in a black dodge."

Here we go, now this is my jam!

Sometime Later

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. You've got to be your own man, not a puppet on a string. Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name. You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."