Hospital

Two Days Later

"Visiting hours don't start for another hour," the nurse tells me, "for now you can go sit over there." She points towards the chairs in the waiting room.

"Thank you." I readjust my hold on the broom and gimp over there. I have yet to call the VA and get a new leg so for now I'm using a broom as a cane.

Just as I sit down I hear a voice call my name. "Stom!" Eva squeals in glee, running up to me with her arms outstretched.

"Hi Eva!" I laugh while ruffling her hair. She tugs on my pant leg, obviously wanting up. I pick her up and set her on my lap.

"Are you seeing Mommy too?" She asks me. Why is Alice here? "No, I'm here to see my Grandpa."

"What happened to your Mommy?" "Awex never came home and then Mommy fewl down." Now she looks like she's going to cry.

"Your Mommy's tough, she'll be okay." I tell her while rubbing her back comfortingly. "Where Cowboy?"

"Cowboy couldn't come with me. The hospital doesn't let animals in." I lie. She seems to take this as an answer and doesn't say anymore.

After a little bit she starts rambling on about her stuffed animals and how she can't wait to get the pink unicorn. It's really kinda cute and almost makes me want to have kids, almost. I just don't think I could deal with a child and my PTSD breakdowns. Granted, they've been happening less, but they're still there.

"Did you hear?" The nurse asks another nurse. "What?" "About the creature that's been killing cattle. Apparently it stopped killing for about three weeks but it's back at it now." Nurse 1 explains.

"Huh, that is weird. Why would it go cold turkey like that?" Nurse 2 wonders. "No idea, but my husband was really happy that it stopped killing. Of course, just this morning he found one of his heifers absolutely butchered and he was pissed."

"Ma'am, visiting hours are now open." Nurse 2 tells me. "Come on Eva." She jumps off of my lap and runs down the hall to Alice's room. I smile at her and do my best to keep up with her. I'll take her to Alice's room and then go to Grandpa's.

"Stom! Stom! Open the door!" Eva begs as she pulls on the door that won't open. She steps aside when I get there and looks at me with big eyes full of hope.

Turns out the reason Eva couldn't open the door is because it's a push not a pull. "There you go Eva." I grin as she runs in.

"Mommy! Mommy! I missed you!" Eva all but jumps onto Alice's bed. "Shh, not so loud." Alice hushes the excited child with a smile.
"I'm sowwy." "It's okay. I missed you too." She pulls Eva into a hug.

I leave them to have their moment. "Wait Storm!" Alice calls out as the door shuts. I turn heel and hobble back into the room.

"Have you seen Alexander? I thought he would have visited me by now." She looks very concerned. How do I tell her that her boyfriend was an evil fairy that tried to kill me and is now dead?

"No, I haven't." I mean, it's not a total lie. I haven't seen him since he died. "Oh." She looks sad now like someone just kicked her puppy.

"Thank you for bringing Eva to me." She hugs the child tighter. "Of course. What are friends for?" She gives me a grateful look before I leave.

Now then, back to my mission: visit Grandpa.

It takes a few wrong rooms to finally find Grandpa's. I hobble in to find him sitting there watching some documentary on birds.

"Hi Grandpa, how are you feeling?" I ask, pulling a chair up to his bed. "This food is terrible. What I wouldn't do for your Grandma's cooking right about now." He tells me.

"Other than the food how are you feeling?" I ask. "Fine, I wish they would let me walk around some. Sitting here is making my legs stiff." He points at his legs.

He stops pointing and leans in real close to my face before whispering, "Is that man really a werewolf?"

I hope this doesn't send him into another heart attack. "Yes." His eyes narrow and he gives me a look of what the fuck.

"Why were you with a werewolf?" He whispers again. "He saved my life and he's.... my mate." I'm worried about Grandpa's reaction to hearing the mates part.

"Huh? Mate? You're not an animal Storm." He gives me a crazy look. "I know that Grandpa. Mate is short for soulmate." I explain.

"Oh, like me and your Grandma." Now he's nodding his head and looking happier. "Good for you Storm," he whacks me on the back, "but if he makes you cry, just say the word and he'll be dead in a ditch somewhere."

"Thanks Grandpa."

We sit there and quietly chitchat for sometime before he brings up serious matters.

"Storm, I'm retiring. This heart attack is the final straw. I want to live out my last years enjoying life not just selling tackle. I want to get out and see the world."

"Then who will run the bait shop?" Retiring is good for Grandpa but who will run the bait shop? Who will supply people with their essential fishing equipment?

"You will."

"What?"

"You will run the bait shop. You're young yet, it'll be the perfect thing to get you started in life. It's a steady income and you get to meet all kinds of fishermen. Where else do you think I learned all my tricks from?" He takes my hand is his.

"You're not fighting in a war anymore. You need something else to keep you going. Owning the bait shop is something that can keep you going. I know when I came home from Vietnam I was lost and the bait shop gave me something to rely on. I want you to succeed in life Storm," he pauses to squeeze my hand, "And now you've got this soulmate who looks like he hasn't worked in years. You're going to have to bring home the bacon until that boy gets back on his feet. You're going to be his rock just as much as he'll be yours."

I can feel myself tearing up at his speech."If that wasn't something that spoke to you think of it like this: war is coming to the bait shop and the only way to win the war and keep the hunk of yours is to keep the bait shop running. The bait shop needs you just as much as you need it." Tears starts to fall down my face.

"Oh don't cry." He says in a soothing tone, wiping away my tears. "I'm scared Grandpa. You retiring means you're getting older. I don't want to run the bait shop without you. I love you Grandpa."

"I love you too Storm. And it's okay to be scared. I wouldn't give the bait shop to you if I didn't think you could handle running it. I know it'll be okay in your hands."

I pull him into a big hug and sob into his chest. He's had a heart attack and is retiring, Grandpa's getting old and that scares the hell outta me.

"Visiting hours are over! Everyone has to leave!" One of the nurses announces over the intercom.

"Goodbye Grandpa! I'll see you soon!" I wave to him as I pause in the doorway. "Bye."

I hobble down the hallway, stopping every so often to wipe snot onto my arm. I love that man to death.

"Stom! Stom! Wait!" Eva yells from behind me. I stop and she runs up to me.

"Mommy wants me to stay with you cause Awex isn't here." "Okay, come on." Now she's smiling at me like it's the best day ever. She grabs my hand and together we walk out of the hospital to my truck.

Maybe today is the best day ever.