Talking

"I'm going to go, I have other duties to attend. Mind link me if she starts coughing up blood." Karl says before leaving. I can't wait to spend time with Storm alone.

"Did I cough up that much blood? Ha, that's funny!" She laughs like coughing up blood is the most natural thing.

"That wasn't funny, I was scared!" Oh, why did I say that? She's going to be on to me and our little bond.

"You were scared? We've only met once." She looks at me like I'm crazy, I don't like this look. "Anyway, it's still funny." She laughs again.

"How is that funny?" I raise an eyebrow at her, my mate is crazy. "I'm one of Uncle Sam's misguided children." She grins her gap tooth grin. I don't quite know what her answer means so I just nod my head.

"That gap tooth grin makes you look tough." I tell her. "I like it that way." She grins even bigger. I love when she smiles, it's so much better than the I'm crazy look.

"How did you lose your teeth?" Her missing her front teeth is something I've noticed many times during my time in wolf form with her, I've just never had the chance to ask her about it. Do other 'misguided children' look like this?

"Back at basic training me and another private got in an argument. That fucker swung first and then the fight started. We each got a good few swings in before it got broken up. He knocked out my two front teeth and I bruised his face so bad his momma couldn't recognize him." She explains. "I would've beat the shit out of him if they wouldn't of broken the fight up so early. Us two had so much hell and extra training for that fight. But hey, it made us friends. Damn Jake." She shakes her head. So that's how she met Jake.

"So you're a good fighter?" I ask. "You doubted me? You watched me beat Alexander with my leg. I'm a good fighter!" Her chest puffs up and I leech the pain that the puffing causes.

"That's not how I remember it. I remember saving you from him." I tease. "No, I saved you. He had you down and you know it!" She challenges.

"I had him right where I wanted him. If you hadn't interfered I would've killed him." I tell her. "Don't kid yourself, you needed my help."

"Did not." "Did too!" "Did not!" "Did too!"

"Why did you beat him with your leg anyway?" She was so poisoned, she should've been paralyzed.

"I'm a damn marine, I improvise!" She says loudly. "I will admit that before you showed up I may have swung and missed a lot." She embarrassedly rubs the back of her neck with her free hand.

Storm's Pov.

The hours seems to fly by as I spend time with Wilder. For some weird reason it's nice to be around him. I don't know what it is about him, but something's drawing me to him.

"I'll be back soon, I'm going to get us food. I totally forgot about bringing lunch." He lets go of my hand and walks out the door. The pain that follows is a bitch. Luckily in a few minutes the pain mellows out and only acts up when I move.

Wilder comes back with two plates; one heaping with meat and the other half filled with rice. He hands me the rice filled one before he sits back in the chair.

"You lucky bastard." I tell him as he takes a bite of meat. "Sorry, Karl said you should eat something that won't be too hard on your stomach." Ugh, I guess that makes sense.

We eat in silence with the occasional groan of pain when I move a certain way. I finally finish my rice and hand him the plate.

He returns a few minutes later and immediately takes my hand in his. The pain instantly gone.

"How was th-" He's cut off by the door barging open and some guy I don't recognize panting like a dog.

In a flash Wilder has let go, stood up, and shifted! He's a giant wolf, easily six feet tall.

Wait a minute here, he looks familiar! But from where?

He lets out a deafening snarl and I can't see what the other guy does in response.

The guy must've down something stupid though because Wilder just lunged forward and is growling nonstop. It's so damn loud!

"I submit! I submit! Lady please call your mate off before he kills me!" The guy pleads. Blood everywhere on the carpet is probably not going to be easy to clean up.

"Wilder, stop, please." Maybe that please will convince him. Nope, just more growls.

"Wilder, I swear to God if you get blood on this carpet I will personally beat your ass!" I yell at him. His ears flick back and he stops growling.

He even takes a few steps back and shifts back to his human form. He still stays between me and the guy, but this is progress.

"Lady, Alpha Conan sent me to request council with you." Wilder's hands become fists. "There will be no council until Storm isn't in pain." A gruff voice more of a noise comes from Wilder.

"But it's urgent!" The guy argues. "I am not afraid to rip your guts out for disturbing my mate's peace. She needs to rest in order to heal!" Um, da fuck he talking about? What the hell is a mate?

"I understand that, but Alpha says it's urgent!" "Then he can come get us himself!" With that Wilder goes forward and shoves the guy before slamming the door in his face.

"I am perfectly capable of going to this meeting. I'm a damn marine not a helpless baby!" I say once he's turned around.

"I'm sorry but you need to heal. I can't stand the thought of you getting more hurt." His face shows an alarming amount of concern.

"Does this have something to do with him and you calling us mates? What the fuck is a mate?"