Chapter 31: It Didn't Change That Much

JUDAH

I flung my coat around my shoulders and wore it in a second. The last touch was my Kingston gold watch. I hung the necktie around my collar. Maybe, I'll just tie it in the car. I still need to get down the Valley Cafe for my coffee and ask Arthur to order me breakfast.

"That reminds me..." I still need to talk to their manager about Olivia. She resigned before our wedding, but they might compromise her identity. I might need to talk to their whole staff.

I looked at the time. Is Olivia already awake? Should I check up on her? I might disturb her. We just got back from Russia yesterday, and it took us a while to settle down because we still had to discuss our living arrangements. We agreed to sleep in separate rooms for our privacy and convenience... since, more than a married couple, we are friends.

Still, I can't believe I'm actually married now and have someone living with me.

"Hmmm." I smiled to myself as I looked at the mirror. It doesn't seem so bad.

There were no drastic changes, except for the fact that we live together and have certain legal responsibilities that come with marital relation recognized by law. Like sharing finances, properties, not testifying against each other in court, maybe... and fidelity.

Strange. I don't find those things hard to do at all. Who knew I needed to be married first to commit to these things? I always thought it came before.

"Ha. I bet Arthur's laughing at me right now." Shortly before I met Olivia, he urged me to settle down with someone and stop my Harrison agenda. I guess I ate my words a little bit because I got married. Fortunately, Olivia has the same goals, so I still have some integrity.

"Let's get to work." I got my suitcase and went outside. When I got down, I was expecting for the place to be darkened with closed curtains and blinds, like always. But I was greeted by sun rays through the exposed glass walls and windows, lighting up the whole living room. And the unfamiliar but extremely pleasant smell of... bacon and brewed coffee? I walked to the table and saw a full breakfast prepared.

"Woah..."

"Good morning." A sweet voice came up from behind me, "I thought you'd be up early. And I know you'd rather have your breakfast on the way. I know you have your routines. But I was hoping you can join me here instead."

"You..." I bit my lip, trying to restrain myself from beaming, "I thought you were still asleep."

She laughed and rolled her eyes, "Please. One thing you need to know about wives is they usually wake up earlier than their husbands. And besides, today's the day we make our plans. I was too excited to sleep that long. So..." She walked towards me and put her hands around my neck. It took me a second to realize she was fixing my tie, which caused this weird feeling in my chest, "Would you like to eat?"

Huh. I know how to fix my own tie but when she did it for me, it felt different. How can something so trivial feel somewhat special in an instant?

She gestured for us to sit on the table. I didn't even look at the time. I just put my suitcase down and sat across her.

I gaped at the feast in front of us, "When did you even have time to prepare this?"

"Oh, I had years of training for-" she paused for a moment and coughed, "I... uh... I asked the staff for some groceries, which they had delivered in less than 10 minutes." She then proceeded to pour the brewed coffee into my mug.

"Is this going to be a regular thing? Now that we're married?" I asked.

She smiled and adjusted her seat, "Do you want it to be?"