Chapter 40: We Made A Scandal

OLIVIA

I carefully splashed water on my face, making sure my makeup won't be ruined. It's a good thing most of it is waterproof. I shook the water off my mask and adjusted my dress.

"Calm down, Olivia. It's all in the past. Everything has changed now."

I tried to breathe out the pain repeatedly. I chose to believe in Judah, that it was just a publicity stunt. It made things easier for now. But I need to get over this completely. I'm Judah's wife. I'm dead to the Harrisons and they're dead to me. Whatever they do should have no power over me anymore.

"I'm Olivia Kingston now." I should go be with my husband.

After making sure I looked the way I did before my emotional outburst, I took off. Quietly, I made my way towards our table while avoiding the lights. Some man was doing a speech and the waiters were serving some tart-like hors d'oeuvres to every table. Judah immediately turned to me as I pulled my chair.

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

I smiled, "I'm fine. Sorry about earlier."

"Don't be. I understand," he put his hand over mine.

"Thank you, Judah. But don't worry. That won't happen again."

He nodded, moving his chair closer to mine before putting his arm around me. Our table was a bit close to the area where the waiters dumped the trays and fixed the plates, so we could hear every clash and clank of stainless steels. I didn't mind it. The speech was getting boring anyway. I scanned the room, looking for the two people who caused the scene earlier. I found them in a matter of seconds. The well-lit table closest to the stage, as if it was already their reception.

My hands balled into fists, trying to repress any emotion. Unlike earlier, I was successful. But I couldn't take my gaze away. I wanted them to see me, glaring a hole through their foreheads. I want them scared sh*tless to see my ghost.

"Olivia..." Judah uttered out of the blue, "Forget about them. It's not real. Look at them."

"I'm already looking."

"Really look at them," he repeated. "That's not how a 'surprise proposal' plays out."

I stopped glaring and started observing. Judah may have a point. They didn't look... excited. I could tell that even with their masks on. I know how a girl reacts to delightful surprises like proposals. I even experienced it with Judah even though I had already proposed to him then. And those two didn't look like a couple who just got engaged. Sure, they had their arms around each other and there was no space between them, but that's it. They weren't even talking.

Judah's right. The proposal must have been rehearsed.

"A publicity stunt. Ha," Judah said. "What'd I tell ya?"

"I see that now." They used this event to their advantage. "Damn it. Looks like tomorrow's headlines will be their engagement."

"Unless..." Judah began, which made me turn my head.

"Unless what?"

"Unless we top it," he finished with a mischievous smirk, which sent chills down my spine.

Before I knew it, I was smiling so much that my cheeks hurt under my mask. I think I wanna marry this guy all over again. We looked at each other with the same glint in our eyes.

"What did you have in mind?" I whispered, leaning in.

"There's going to be a dance after this. Wanna make a scandal on the dance floor?"