Chapter 61: We Can Do This Ourselves

JUDAH

"Judah, I think we should work with them to bring Cesar down."

I couldn't believe what I just heard. I was still having a hard time wrapping my head around Arthur and now this... absurdity? What's gotten into her?

"O-Olivia... that's..."

She sighed, sitting down next to me, "I know. I know."

She told me everything that happened to her when I was gone and when she went out earlier. My heart sank as she narrated the events. I could only regress on my seat, clenching my fists and gritting my teeth in frustration.

I had to resist the urge to break something or speed dial one of my men to murder Cesar. The only thing that stopped me from ordering a hit right then and there was her. She was hurt and I wasn't there. I couldn't leave and do anything else. I couldn't explode just yet.

But then Arthur came up and I just lost it. I've never felt such anger and pain all at once. The betrayal... and the loss.

Why did it have to be Arthur? And now this?

She continued, "Judah, I just... after what happened earlier—"

I instantly held her hands, "I know. I know you were scared and I wasn't there. I'm so, so sorry—"

"It's not your fault, Judah."

"—but that's not a reason to work with them. We can do this on our own. They're the Harrisons, Olivia. They tried to kill you, remember? Clyde and Geneva? And Arthur! How can you trust them?!"

"I have no choice, Judah!"

I was taken aback by what she said, not knowing what it meant, "No choice?"

She shook her head and let out a heavy sigh, "I just found out that there's so much I don't know. I mean, Clyde had a sister. I didn't know that. Geneva helped me. Cesar just tried to kill me. And Arthur..."

Her words got caught in her throat. I know that she and Arthur have become close as well.

"Olivia, doesn't this just prove all the more that we can't trust them?"

"I know I can't. But I'm choosing to. I can't run away from this anymore."

I couldn't hear more of it. I stood up but my head spun either way, "You're not alone in this, Olivia. You act and speak like you're alone, but you're not!"

"Judah."

I turned to her, "They're my enemies too! We're husband and wife! We're in on this together! I get to have a say and I say we're not forming some team with them—"

"Judah, I'm pregnant."

My world stopped. Did I hear that right?

"What...did you just say?"

She broke down in tears, walking toward me, pleading, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't know how you'll feel about it, but I'm happy Judah. And I am so ready to have this baby—"

"You're pregnant?"

"—but I want her to be born in a world where we don't have enemies! Where no one's trying to kill us, burn us, or betray us! I can't run anymore. I need to fight, Judah. And I need you to fight beside me. I need you..."

But only one thing sank in my head, my prior thoughts disappearing, "You're pregnant?"

She wiped her tears and slowly nodded.

My hands were trembling. I felt chills going up and down my spine—my heart pounding fast, my stomach churning, my head spinning. All in a good way. Definitely a good way. I saw a future flash before my eyes in a gentle light—the most beautiful little girl that looks like both of us, running towards me.