Chapter 65: It Was A Trap

OLIVIA

It was an awkward yet fitting silence. I sat on the chair working on finding something that we can use against Clyde's dad in the old computer. The guy he had earlier managed to bring it back to life and I was looking at the old files already. Meanwhile, Clyde was pacing around the room with old transaction files in his hand, looking for additional clues.

"Can't seem to find anything yet," he mumbled. I didn't answer.

Still, he continued speaking, "Can you remember anything that might help? Secret deals or anything of the sort when you were managing HERMES?"

I shook my head, "I have every deal here. They were all made legally. The other party signed with consent. I... I don't know what I'm missing."

"My father's strategy was sabotaging businesses with an insider. I doubt that would be in the files. He also made sure those little accidents wouldn't be traced back to him."

That's when I realized something. Why didn't I figure it out before? A computer made especially for me, a whole sub-company under my management, my marriage to Clyde back then.

"You said you took HERMES from me to keep me safe, right?"

He stepped closer to me, "Yes. I knew my father would use it against you."

"But when he found out I was still alive, he tried to get me back with the Harrisons."

He became puzzled and surprised, "He did?"

"Yeah, when he tried to kill me in the fire."

"O-oh...right. I'm sorry."

I continued, "But the fact is... he wanted to take me back. Why?"

He gathered up his thoughts for a few seconds, "Well, for starters, you managed all HERMES transactions. Only you could access it. Maybe he wanted something from your computer."

"You mean... you were never able to open this?"

"It's built only for you. It can only be opened with your prints, your passwords."

"Yes, but even if I retrieve the files now, you will still own HERMES. If he tries to expose the deals, you would—"

Our eyes widened as we both realized something.

"What if... he wanted me back so I could be his fall guy again? Even if you own HERMES now, by proving that I'm the only one who has access to the deals, he could still trace it back to me and I would be the enemy."

"So... he was trying to save me?"

"You're the CEO now. If you go down, you'll take the Harrisons down with you. He has entrusted too much to you and he can't afford to lose all that. But if that's the case, why is he pointing his guns at you right now?"

He shrugged, "Well, he kept his guard up again when I divorced you. It was never part of his plan. Right now, all I care about is my sister's safety. But he struck out on his part of that deal. I don't know what he has against me now that he lost his hold on me through Peyton."

"But you're still the CEO, right? He can't just change that."

"As far as I know, yes. We haven't spoken since he tried to hurt Peyton though, so I don't know what he's up to, but Arthur's working on it. Fortunately, he still has my father's trust."

"That only means we can't trust him for now. We don't know what he'll compromise just to keep that trust. We have to act on our own."

He let out a heavy sigh, "Well, how? Nothing is tying him to HERMES. Even if we reveal those dirty deals, the names that will be dragged through the mud are either yours or mine."