Chapter 62: She Was Their Mother

Feb 2, 2023

I published this chapter before but I added a scene at the end you might need to read (for those who already read it) to get the next chapters. Another secret revealed ;) Hope you guys love it.

__________________________________________________

OLIVIA

"It was Cesar! It could only be him," Peyton breathlessly cried, trying to wipe the tears and distress off her face to no avail.

After we saw her out in the hall, we requested for a private room to treat her wounds and to calm her down. I introduced her to Judah and explained my relationship with her. He was also surprised to find out Clyde had a sister. We were wary at first about helping her since she is with the Harrisons but she has already been my friend. Despite my promises to myself and my husband, I couldn't just leave her.

"Calm down, Peyton. Tell me what happened," I consoled her, rubbing her back.

She took deep breaths as she attempted to steady her voice for the explanation, "I... Garrett and I just saw this movie... and we turned to an alley. Someone just started chasing us. H-He had a gun..."

Her voice started trembling again so I held her hand, "It's okay. You're doing great."

"H-He... the man kept shooting at us... two bullets hit Garrett. But he didn't let go of my hand. We kept running and then we came to the road. The man disappeared but... this car..."

"The car what?"

"It tried to run us over. It wanted to kill us. I could sense it. And Garrett, he pushed me to safety... but his leg. His leg got trapped. There was so much blood, Mrs. Via..."

"Oh, god. Peyton, I'm so sorry," I hugged her tight.

"This Garrett..." Judah spoke, "Is he your friend?"

"Y-Yes. Well, he was my bodyguard. My brother assigned him to me. But he was more than that... to me."

"I see. I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

Judah's sincerity and the thought of Garrett brought Peyton to tears again. She sunk to my chest, crying and shaking weakly.

"I can't lose him. I just can't..."

"Shhh. He's going to be alright. They're treating him right now. It's going to be okay."

"He didn't wake up. He would come whenever I called for him. Always. But he didn't wake up..."

"He will wake up, okay" I reassured with false hope. I didn't know what else to say.

"Why would they do that to us? I did nothing wrong."

Judah and I looked at each other in a similar thought. I was brought back to Aero Kea and how the Harrisons attempted to kill me. They did something far worse just to make sure I'd die. So far, all the Harrisons' monstrosity has been a life-threatening puzzle— why us? We did nothing wrong.

"They're bad people, Peyton. It doesn't matter if we did something or not. They're monsters that need to be dealt with. And we will."

Judah nodded in agreement with me, "You're not alone in this. Cesar has made a lot of enemies. The upside is we get a lot of allies. So, don't you worry. He'll pay."

Peyton smiled, "Thank you, Mr. Judah."

I turned to Judah and teasingly whispered, "Well, look who's gonna be a good father."