Chapter 54: It Was a Disturbing Revelation

OLIVIA

We stood there for a few seconds, speechless. It was as if the whole world was put on hold. I knew in my heart that he already knows. Though I will keep on denying it, hiding my identity is no longer an option for me. Perhaps it's better this way. Everything seen, but nothing said.

This way, the fear of being discovered won't hold me back anymore.

Right now, Clyde is in the presence of a living ghost that he created.

I smirked.

Let's haunt him then.

"Oliv—"

Before he could speak, the Mayor walked out of the office when he noticed that we were at a standstill, "Mrs. Kingston, this is Mr. Clyde Harrison—"

"Oh, I'm very aware, Mayor," I interjected, emphasizing my fake accent. "The Harrisons. Of course."

The Mayor smiled, "Ah, yes. They're like Kingston, but—"

"Second," I corrected him while keeping my eyes on Clyde, "Not like. They are only second to Kingston."

"O-oh, I see."

Unlike the reaction I expected, Clyde only looked down for a moment before returning his gaze to me. Strange. Usually, a shot at the Harrisons' reputation would trigger him.

I eventually got sick of looking at him so I averted my gaze, "Shall we start our discussions, Mayor?"

"Ah, yes," he turned to Clyde and bowed. "Well, then. Thank you, Mr. Harrison. I will lead you to the door."

It took a minute for Clyde to reply, stammering, "N-no need. I can see my way out."

"Ah, very well then"— the mayor turned to me, stepping into his office and gesturing for me to enter— "Mrs. Kingston, please. This way."

I nodded, taking a step forward. Clyde, to my irritation, remained frozen on the path. He stared at me as I made my way toward the office. As soon as I was beside him, he tried to hold my hand.

"Olivia, I—"

"Mind your manners, Mr. Harrison," I sharply said as I pulled my hand away. "In case you forgot, we are rivals. Enemies. That means"—I took a step closer, at which he swallowed and stumbled backwards— "I. Hate. You. And for once, please get my name right."

For a second, he looked hurt. Why? If anything, he should be scared or confused. The woman he tried to kill is in front of him, hellbent on destroying him.

It took him a moment to reel back and respond, "You're still trying to hide it?"

"Hide what, Mr. Harrison? I don't have anything to hide. Now, if you'll excuse me."

But before I could enter the office, he managed to grab my wrist. It was a forceful pull but it quickly loosened up, as if careful not to hurt me.

"Will you please just listen to—"

"No!" I took my hand back and glared at him, making sure that he was aware of the boiling hatred I feel for him, the irritation and malice. "You listen to me, Mr. Harrison. Whatever it is you're trying to pull or prove; you're just wasting your time. I don't care what you think. I don't care what you know. But if you want the truth, here it is— I am Via Morozov-Kingston. And Olivia Reagan-Harrison... is dead."

His eyes went to the ground. I could no longer deny who I really was. He seems sure enough, and I've already accepted that he knows.

But what I said wasn't me trying to deny my identity. It was me claiming my new one.