Chapter 43: I Can't Help Falling

OLIVIA

I secretly gripped the back of my dress, trying to calm myself down as Clyde kept staring at me. Unexplainable rage ate away the fear and nervousness I should be feeling. This is the guy who ruined my life and tried to kill me, and killed many. I just wanted to dunk his head in the punch until he drowned, but I composed myself. He looked around before speaking again.

"Where's your husband?"

Probably on that crappy table you set up for us, is what I wanted to say. But I had to be more formal, "He's socializing. Do you have business with him?"

"I just wanted to ask what kind of man leaves his wife on an event like this? I assume you're new to parties like this, no?" I see. He's trying to make Judah look bad.

"I could ask you the same thing, Mr. Harrison." I took the glass the waiter set down in front of me, "You just got engaged. Where's your fiancée?"

He seemed hesitant before he answered, "She's-"

"I assume you're new to this engagement thing, no?" I wanted to stop but it was too good of a segue to miss, "Oh wait. But you aren't."

"I'm sorry?"

And now here comes the strike, "Do you make it a habit of neglecting your bride-to-be?"

As expected, his eyes turned as wide as the saucer plates for the appetizer. His waiter already put the two glasses he requested beside him, but he didn't seem to notice.

He faked a cough. He does that sometimes when he's nervous, "W-what are you talking about?"

I can't make it seem like I know Olivia when it comes to Clyde. He's a bit more intuitive than Geneva, "You were engaged before, no? I heard from Judah, and I read some articles. You have a new resort named after her, right?"

I felt my blood boil. Every atrocity he committed flashed in my mind. The nerve of him. Using my name to keep up appearances after ruining my life?! Continuing on with his life as if he didn't just murder more than a hundred people?!

Ugh. He's not just human trash anymore. He's an actual devil.

He paused for a bit before continuing, probably trying to swallow that lump in his throat, "Yes. Unfortunately, she passed on a year ago."

"Ah yes. The bombed airplane. My condolences." I secretly smirked, "But you seem to have moved on quite easily."

He flinched, "What are you trying to say, Mrs. Kingston?"

"Oh, nothing." I took a sip of my drink, "I'm just curious. Dedicating a resort? You seem to love her very much. But you were able to replace her in just a year? Whatever happened to grieving, Mr. Harrison?"

He began to get angry, but he managed to hold himself back. He let out a quivering breath, "Look, Mrs. Kingston. I'm sure this might be because you're new to this, or because our companies are rivals, but we must be cautious of things we say in public. Whatever you say can be used against you, you know. Worse, against your husband. It's best not to embarrass him, don't you think?"

Me embarrass Judah? Oh, if only he knew the reason behind the feats of Kingston, and the gradual fall of the Harrisons. But I couldn't say that. It would give me away.

"Mr. Harrison, I assure you. My husband will never be embarrassed of me. He even brought me to this... cute party without much experience." I put down my empty glass, "Besides, I am just saying what most people might already be thinking. I'm not questioning your dignity..."—oh, I am— "...I am just confused with your actions. I heard you didn't even have an investigation for the accident."