119. devoted to you

A D O M A N I A

cxix||devoted to you

The thought of the war escalating makes Maria's heart clench and her skin turn pale. Their friends have two babies on the way that are due next month and they've already suffered enough loss to stay with them for their entire life.

She had also thought often about her panic attack in the arms of Regulus and how comforting it was to look into his eyes when she felt like she was going to suffocate herself. She thought of how his hands merely running through her hair and resting on her face made her instantly calmer. She thought about the hour after the incident, when the duo sat on her bathroom floor in each other's arms with tired eyes and quiet voices.

Regulus had also thought about the few days that they spent just acting like they weren't broken up and it had hit him hard that when he's around her, he wants to try. He feels purpose; like she needs him. He already knows that he needs her, like he needs oxygen to breathe. And these past months have been suffocating.

Maria sighs as she enters her bedroom, she's just returned from a walk with Marlene and Dorcas and she unclasps her bracelets and legs them drop softly into the vanity desk. She strolls over to the dresser drawers to grab some sweatpants when there's a loud knock on her bedroom door.

"James, I'm getting changed." Maria calls, assuming that the person outside the door is her brother coming to check on her, he usually comes around every day that she doesn't visit them — just to check on her.

There's another rapid bang on the door.

"James—give me a—"

The door is flung open and Maria looks and sees a slightly disheveled looking Regulus Black.

"Regulus? What are you doing here—"

"Shut up." Regulus breathes, striding quickly towards her hand his hand gently grips her throat, pushing her back against the wall behind her and firmly pressing his lips down against hers.

A pleasant feeling of surprise settles over her as she hesitates yet can't help herself when she roughly kisses him back, moving one of her hands to tangle her fingers in his tousled hair as his hand that isn't resting on her neck squeezes her hip as he holds her against the wall.

He slowly pulls away and she opens her eyes to look up at him with a frown of shock on her face as she breathes deeply, "you—"

"I know I shouldn't do that." Regulus mumbles, his forehead resting hers and she looks up at him with slightly parted lips.

"You just kissed me." She breathes and he nods.

"I couldn't help myself, I'm sorry." Regulus murmurs, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear and letting out a sigh, his minty breath fanning against her lips.