Chapter 12: New money, suit, and tie

Tine's POV

"Why are there a half a dozen security guards with us, Wat? We are going to a lawyers office. They are not going to hand me millions in cash, you know."

I finally asked the question that had been on my mind ever since we left the house early morning. We were still inside the car, about to reach the solicitor's law firm. Sarawat had insisted to take the driver and didn't let me drive the car. But that wasn't the surprising part. The truly surprising part was that there was a security guard with us in the car. And the rest of the guards in the car behind us.

"Sometimes its good to remind people who I am, they tend to forget that from time to time."

"What do you mean?"

That's when the car stopped at the law firm's entrance.

Instead of answering me, Sarawat opened the car door. "Lets go. We are here."

As I walked towards the office with Sarawat, the other security guards appeared out of nowhere. Half of them standing ahead and half standing behind us. Sarawat's lawyer was also already here. I recognised him from the court.

"This way Sir.." the lawyer led us, and the security guards into the elevator and pressed on the button for the top floor

But as soon as we got out of the elevator — I saw the face of the person I never wanted to see here, even though somewhere at the back of my mind, I very well expected it. Now, I was finally beginning to understand why Sarawat had chosen to come here with all this security.

"Is the new true, Tine ? You really got married and now you are here cashing out my money? You forget who I am Tine —" He yelled as soon as we got off the elevator.

"Mr Teepakorn, wouldn't it be better for you to congratulate us instead of yelling at my husband like that?" Sarawat swooped in before I could answer.

"Mr Guntithanon—" Father stared at me and then back at Sarawat again. "You-- you married Tine?"

"Yes, I did." Sarawat looked at me and smiled. "Still can't believe Tine agreed to marry me. I am sorry we couldn't invite you. We wanted to keep the wedding private and intimate with only our close ones."

"You-- Tine. How dare you not tell me about it?"

Sarawat stepped in front of me, facing Father. "I am sorry, was I not clear? I don't like you yelling at my husband and quite honestly, you are ruining my mood. And trust me when I say this: You don't want to know what happens to people when they ruin my mood."

"Tine, you need to come home with me right now. Your mother wants to see you."

Father tried pulling my hand but I just jerked it and pushed him back.

"Dad can you please stop this and leave? I don't have a mother. You don't even care about me — Why are you even here?

I am just getting what mom left me. What mom always wanted me to have. You and I both know that you don't need a few millions from the inheritance. You are quite comfortable on your own. You just don't want me to have independence and do whatever I want to do."

"I am here because you don't know what is good for you and what isn't."

"I will do what I want to do. You can't stop me."

Father laughed. "You really think, I can't? I am all ready to file my claim to that inheritance and trust me, you will never see a penny from it."

I stared at him. This is exactly what I feared. If the property gets embroiled in a case, it could take years for me to get its possession even if the case judgement tips in my favour.